Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th August 2011, 09:21 AM

Default Big Up for Saturn Sports Cars - Everyone Please Read

I feel that the original Ive passed my IVA post didnt do justice to the amount of work time and effort put into preparing my car for IVA by Andy @ Saturn so Ived decided to write this to make plain to everyone how much of a shared achievement this IVA pass is.

I had gotten to the point where I was at verge of quitting my build when a call to Andy for some advice ( a regular call I might add) found me spilling to him exactly how despondent i was with the whole thing, it was a combination of being over worked and not having time to do the car despite it being promised for use to deliver th bride groom to his wedding on sept 18th this year! so after some careful consideration and planning we took the plunge and entered into an agreement with Saturn about completing the car.

When the car was trailered up it was about 80% complete, alot of the wiring was run but not connected or poorly connected the engine didnt run and the brakes were incomplete, the bodywork was fitted but to a poor standard.

After it arrived Andy put it up on the ramps and we had a look over it prioritising the work and planning costs. as always this spiralled but that due to me adding bits here and there.

Andy did fantastic work keeping a spreadsheet of costs and work done for me and even put up with my calling daily often multiple times.

A couple of weeks ago the car was best part complete so with our IVA date looming a test run was conducted and Disaster the gearbox was shot, this wasnt the first problem we had hit, a fried MegaJolt (prob by me welding the chassis with it attached, take note guys) and a set of engine core plugs leaking!! anyway the gearbox, After begging borrowing and stealing on locostbuilders and ebay and a few 100 miles driven i arrived at Saturns workshop early Saturday morning after coffee we dropped the old gearbox out checked the new one out and put it in, one run later nice Tight gears and big smiles all round.

So Andy carrys on with the finishing touches over the next week and the day before the IVA spent with Saturn and Andy Getting the car finalised, checking the emissions setting up the speedo and fuel sender, we had a few problems with air locks but that was all resolved when Andy spotted a bit of silicon blocking the expansion tank return. this done and one of the beaded hose joiners replaced with a home made item and we were ready to load up.

5am we set off for Beverly testing station and I cant express how nervous I was, we arrived and got the car off the trailer before warming it up for the examiner, visual inspections done and fault 1) wing stays too close to brake union, found we proceeded to the emissions, no problems here we went onto the lift and whilst i worked the brakes and controls Andy shot about under th car cable tying this and that that the inspector asked to be adjusted. this done the ramp was lowered and the head lamps checked, disater failer point 2) they were dipping to the wrong side! well we thought that was it but carried on thinking to get a sheet letting us know what needed to be done, the brake test was carried out by the tester with ym biting my nails the whole time, this was the unknown area what with this being the first roadster we knew of with rear discs fitted for IVA, but the brakes were perfect! on to the speedo check, accurate to 0.5mph over the acutal speed, perfect! on to the noise test, never went about 96Db, agian spot on.

So were loading the car onto the trailer feeling a little dissapointed at the only 2 realatively minor fail points, when were informed if we can get it sorted to his satisfaction before he comes back from lunch he will pass the car! Mad rush onto the internet to find some lights, collect and fit those on the trailer outside the testing station, removed the wings and stays before begging the use of some equiptment from a local fabricator, a drink later and the stays are modded to the testers requirements. we refit them and drive in in time for the tester to come out, bingo lights are tested but ive wired my side up wrong dip and main are reversed, 30 seconds later the terminals are swapped and all is well with the world.

we load the car onto the trailer and while Andy straps it down I collect the certifcate of Pass.

on the drive back to Saturn Andy informs me that as I wont be taking the car away with me that day he is going to get his GRP fabricator to buff out any of the minor scratches on the GRP ready for when I collect it.

So all in all I cant Express how much hard work patience and dedication to a good customer service that I have recieved from Saturn and Andy himself.

Roadster No 2 build

Cost to Date : £93

** New Blog @ http://carlsroadster2.blogspot.com **
Old 19th August 2011, 09:54 AM

well done to all involved carl you can now enjoy and for the guys at saturn who i have not dealt with yet as im only just starting out but will prob deal with in the future it is a glowing reference for a business to have WELL DONE GUYS
Old 19th August 2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks Carl, you're making us all blush - and the sun is out and shining, tis a good day after all the hard graft we've both done to get the car through. Well done you do deserve it.........

It's now the 4th IVA / SVA pass we have had go through Saturn, 3 first time passes so are very pleased and makes all the work worthwhile. We need a track session to celebrate Carl whilst your car is still up here.

Enjoy the moment Carl and get the DVLA sorted.

Regards........Andrew / Noel

Regards..........AndyH
Old 19th August 2011, 12:41 PM

Smile Well done Saturn

It will come as no surprise to the regular forum followers that I am an avid Saturn Sports Cars supporter.

Carl’s post above sums it all up for me.

Now some of you may be thinking, why would someone living in the darkest depths of the West Country avidly support a business so far away !!??

The reasons are simple really.
During my 40 odd years of tinkering with all things with an engine, I have come to know that true first class businesses are few & far between.
Boy, have I come across a few fly boys in my time, you know the sort “ We are not here and gone tomorrow “ …. “ We are here and gone tonight “

Why do Saturn have my utmost respect ?

Ever since Saturn was launched, Andy Hugil ( Spud69 ) has worked tirelessly to promote the Haynes Roadster Brand as a self build concept.
Lost count of the magazine articles I have read about Saturn Sports Cars, always the same business ethic, promoting the Haynes self build as a concept rather than promoting a Saturn sales drive.

When I visit the Saturn web site, I find it well laid out & very professional looking.
I visit the shop & find a well stocked inventory, just about everything the Roadster builder needs ( Where else can you find such a comprehensive range of products for your build !!?? )

Probably don’t need to remind some of you but for the benefit of new members & casual readers of this forum.

If memory serves me right, book car aside, Spud69 completed the first entirely self built Haynes Roadster to hit the road ( There was one other before spud’s but this was bought as a near complete car from MK )
As they say, got the book, got the T shirt, built the car & driving the dream.

As far as I am aware, Saturn Sports cars are the only company supplying Haynes Roadster parts that have actually built a Roadster to completion & road registered.
Where else is there to go for a full blown road demonstration in a Haynes Roadster.

Very reassured that Andy Hugil ( Spud69 ) always works in conjunction with the books author & Haynes.
I was most relieved to read that in the light of Chris Gibbs illness, Saturn Sports Cars has been entrusted by both the books author & Haynes to bring the long awaited Single Seater project to the market.
Very much looking forward to the books release.

One thing is for certain sure, If Saturn was geographically closer to home I would probably take a leaf out of Carl’s book & entrust the completion of my own build to Saturn, I know it would be in good hands.
That said, it may even come to that, there is nowhere in this neck of the woods that I would be willing to entrust the work too.

Sorry if this comes across as a blatant plug for Saturn, in a way, it is but credit wher credit is due & all that Jaz

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 19th August 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 19th August 2011, 01:15 PM

Nothing wrong with a plug. No better advertising really than word of mouth and happy customers and i havent heard a bad thing about saturn so i bought my wishbones and bodywork from them even though its half a world away.Here (WA) people cant even be arsed to respond to an email about parts(been waiting 2 weeks for quote for rear hub bearings) so imagine trying to get your parts
Old 19th August 2011, 02:22 PM

I have known Andy for about a year now and see him on a regular basis as his unit is only 20 mins away .....it is no surprise he gets bigged up, he deserves it, as his tireless support of everything HR is more than just his bread and butter, he is STILL genuinely enthusiastic about the whole concept ....good on ya dude
TOP NERD
Old 19th August 2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1 View Post
Nothing wrong with a plug. No better advertising really than word of mouth and happy customers and i havent heard a bad thing about saturn so i bought my wishbones and bodywork from them even though its half a world away.Here (WA) people cant even be arsed to respond to an email about parts(been waiting 2 weeks for quote for rear hub bearings) so imagine trying to get your parts
My Point exactly Ozzy

How many companys in the UK would go the extra mile to ship parts all the way to Australia

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 19th August 2011, 08:13 PM

Well done Carl and well done Saturn