Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th November 2009, 01:11 PM

Default Fibreglass repair

I've just got my bodywork from Fabby and I've been trying to reach him with no luck, but until that happens I thought I'd ask you guys. The bodywork I received is damaged. So until I hear back from Mark, how hard is it to repair split fibre glass and gelcoats? Its the scuttle in the picture below.

Old 20th November 2009, 01:22 PM

Im not quite sure on the best repair method to suggest (im sure someone will shortly!) but depending on how you make your dash panel that area may be covered up anyway. As long as you do something to prevent the crack running further into the panel you may get away with it.

If its the other side of the scuttle in the engine bay just ignore everything i just said
Old 20th November 2009, 01:59 PM

That's a shame, looks like its been damaged in transit.

Going to be awkward to repair as it looks like the fibreglass is damaged underneath. The other problem you'll have is getting the gel coat to match.

As an option i am prepared to make a new one for you at the cost of postage, £15, the only thing is that we won't have the colour to match and the gel is not cheap to buy in small quantities, £38 + del for 5kg. We can do it in yellow, orange, black, or clear and then you could have it sprayed. Any body shop could match the colour.

Hope this helps in some way.......AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 20th November 2009, 04:09 PM

A suggestion,if you do it in clear gel coat it can be etch primed and then sprayed to match ( or so my bodybasher tech say's).

May solve the problem with a little luck,Saturns panels are excellent too.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:07 PM

As i remember first you have to hold/clamp the piece in the required position so it hasn,t spread
abrade the the rear and apply a patch to the abraded area several inches either side is best
then when that has cured you can grind out all the damaged area ensure the rest is masked you dont want any marks or dings
then you build up the ground out area to just below the finished surface this can be done with resin/repair tissue/or microfibers/or that funny talc like stuff etc
then you can apply gelcoat to finish the build up ( i think sometimes a wax is added to make it easier to polish out )
then you sand
then wetndry
then wetndry
then wetndry
then refill the pinholes with more gelcoat
then you sand
then you wetndry
then you wetndry x1000000000000 times
then you polish
and hey presto its as good as new and the repair can be invisible

hey its not that bad really but you get the idea
its just quite a bit of work and elbow grease and well within the abilities of a competant diyer
me i,d buy saturn sc a tub of premixed gelcoat and have a bloody good haggle ( andy shortie deserves a payback .. lol ) and let them keep the gel they are sure to get an order in that colour soon ...
you would be doing them a favour.......

cheers les g
Old 20th November 2009, 10:29 PM

You all guys are so thorough... I would use a fugly GRP patch and cover it up with a panel -- bulkhead or dash depending on which one it is.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:14 PM
fabbyglass

Ummmmmmm don't you just love carriers.......

It is repairable and not hard,..even if the glass is cracked all the way through.

On the back feather out the crack with a wizzy then patch with resin and matt.
When that's cured you can attack the gel face, again feather it back with a wizzy then using pigmented gel with wax solution( top coat or flow coat) build up like using body filler.
Let this cure and sand it down using finer and finer wet n dry

The colour I used is super white pigment by west and senior, bout £6 for 500g from CFS.

I'm waiting to hear back from Emma on which carrier it was etc so will let you know.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:43 PM

If I'm completely honest, I'm terrible at any kind of bodywork repair. Its one of the reasons I sold my MGB, after trying to patch a wing. I think I'd have to be crazy not to accept the incredibly kind offer from Andy and get a replacement in clear gelcoat. This way I can keep my build progressing. I've got so much to try to do I don't want to fall even further behind with bodywork at this stage in the build.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Ummmmmmm don't you just love carriers.......

It is repairable and not hard,..even if the glass is cracked all the way through.

On the back feather out the crack with a wizzy then patch with resin and matt.
When that's cured you can attack the gel face, again feather it back with a wizzy then using pigmented gel with wax solution( top coat or flow coat) build up like using body filler.
Let this cure and sand it down using finer and finer wet n dry

The colour I used is super white pigment by west and senior, bout £6 for 500g from CFS.

I'm waiting to hear back from Emma on which carrier it was etc so will let you know.

i said that lol
cheers les g
learnt from the master !!!!!!
Old 30th November 2009, 09:09 PM

Just as a thanks for the hard work by Andy at Saturn, who turned around a replacement scuttle for my car. He's gone out of his way to help me and really can't say enough to thank a guy who effectively gave me a scuttle for free!