Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st January 2013, 02:22 PM

I use a soluble degreasant stippled in with a stiff brush then washed off with a trigger spray gun filled with water then repeat the process in the hard to get to places until all is removed....beauty of this method you only need a few old newspapers on the floor to soak the run off up
Old 4th February 2013, 09:05 AM

After a week or so of not being able to get in to the garage, I started the attempted clean up of the engine yesterday.

As you can see, to begin with it is black and covered with 12years and 155000 miles worth of sludge..

Got hold of some soluble degreaser as recommended by the resident engine overhaul god (Kev). The stuff I got foams up which is good for getting in those hard to reach places. I also have some 'Gunk' which I have also used.

After an hour or so of scrubbing with a wire brush I was beginning to think the block came out of it's casting black, until finally, a glint of silver..

Old 4th February 2013, 09:06 AM

At this point I'm thinking that when all else fails, brute force and ignorance is the way forward so off I went to B&Q for a wire brush attachment for a drill.
The result, after half an hour..

Managed to find my engine number, wondered where it was!

As I left it before going for a shower and collapsing on the sofa..

Still plenty to get off in places I can't quite get to. Might have to resort to purchasing a Dremel.

Also, what is the best way of removing carbon deposits from a piston?
Soak in carb cleaner??
Mine are horrendous, this is Piston no. 1 and is actually the cleanest of the 4..

Any ideas?
Old 4th February 2013, 10:42 AM

Re the degreasant job.....patience is key just get the crud off first, on mine I used a dremmel and grindstones to the inaccessable bits.
carbonized piston crown......use a pen knife to get the worst off then used a detail sander with a fine grade paper to finish off back to aluminium.....best mask off the con rod up to gudgeon pin as you do not want debris/abrasive getting in there