Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
Glad to see you've come out of hibernation Chris

Here's the tube I inserted into the lower holes in the rear uprights (you need 80mm per side if memory serves me correctly):

STEEL PRECISION TUBE 14mm OD x 300mm LONG 1mm WALL

And these are the bushes I stuck in the top of the uprights (£22.70 for a pair):

Mazda MX-5 Rear Upper Inner & Outer Suspension Bush SPORT poly STRONGFLEX

My column to rack UJ is rally design part# RD820F

Hope that helps!
Yes it's warmer now so I thought I'd get in the garage again and do a bit.

I've ordered the tube, thank you, but for the bushes did you just spec the 12mm int.dia. crush tube or do you have to speak with them first?

Understood you're using the RD820F for the rack UJ but what about the entention between it and the mazda column is it a sierra part or is it an extended mazda part.

Cheers

Chris
Old 7th March 2012, 03:14 PM

For the bushes I sent them a message asking if they could do them with 12mm internal diameter crush tubes. They replied saying no problem, and just told me to add a note saying that when I placed the order.

My steering column/shaft/linkages are pretty much the same as the Saturn/NTS build guide now.
The top part of the steering shaft is from the MX5, and the bottom part is the Rally Design steering shaft (RD849).
The bit joining them together is just some chunky mild steel tube (3mm wall I think). I couldn't tell you the diameter though - I just took the Rally Design shaft to my local steel supplier, and they let me stick it in various bits of tube until I found one that was a snug fit!
Old 7th March 2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
For the bushes I sent them a message asking if they could do them with 12mm internal diameter crush tubes. They replied saying no problem, and just told me to add a note saying that when I placed the order.

My steering column/shaft/linkages are pretty much the same as the Saturn/NTS build guide now.
The top part of the steering shaft is from the MX5, and the bottom part is the Rally Design steering shaft (RD849).
The bit joining them together is just some chunky mild steel tube (3mm wall I think). I couldn't tell you the diameter though - I just took the Rally Design shaft to my local steel supplier, and they let me stick it in various bits of tube until I found one that was a snug fit!
You are "THE MAN" ! Thank You. Your Build has moved on somewhat since I last logged in. I am some-what in shock at your progress.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:23 PM

Yep, you've got some catching up to do

Got my NTS pedal box fitted last night, that was a bit of a chore...
If anyone's reading this - unless you have arms like Mr Tickle, make sure you bolt the pedal box in place BEFORE you fit the side panels, scuttle, and scuttle bulk head...
Could I reach both sides of the box at the same time to tighten the bolts up? Could I bugger!
Old 9th March 2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
If anyone's reading this - unless you have arms like Mr Tickle, make sure you bolt the pedal box in place BEFORE you fit the side panels, scuttle, and scuttle bulk head...
Could I reach both sides of the box at the same time to tighten the bolts up? Could I bugger!
I remember that scenario too

Also an idea to attach the clutch & throttle cables & fit the master cylinder pushrod to the pedals before fitting the side panel ......otherwise you,ll end up with your upper body in the footwell with legs in the air .....don,t ask how I know

need some more pics please John, sounds like you are making great progress.

cheers
andy
Old 9th March 2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
....otherwise you,ll end up with your upper body in the footwell with legs in the air ...
andy
That position sounds familiar, lol
It wasn't too bad until I tried to get out again and got stuck!
I couldn't figure out how to get my head back past the steering wheel and was starting to worry I'd be stuck there all night
Old 9th March 2012, 10:01 PM

Hi Skov.

When you used the diff mount to secure you handbrake cable did you use the existing mx5 brackets of did you make your own?

Cheers

David

ps. can you put some photos up of your pedal assembly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
When you used the diff mount to secure you handbrake cable did you use the existing mx5 brackets of did you make your own?
Hi David, I used the existing brackets on the handbrake cables, and bolted them to the big diff washer things with M8 nuts and bolts.
I then just moved the cables, bending the brackets in the process, until they weren't fouling on anything.

I'll take some pics of the pedal box and get them posted up in the next few days.
Old 11th March 2012, 07:29 PM

Cool

Good progress,
Looking good Skov. Bl**dy hell you've been busy.
Next weekend my engine should be out of the donor so hopefully soon gonna do the sump chop...
Not forgotten our deal....

Johno
Old 18th March 2012, 07:55 PM

Been searching for these....

but cant find any of them anywhere. I dont suppose you happen to have any links for them as going to need some

Skyline Roadster