Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th October 2012, 12:55 PM

Ya it is kinda funny really that the book seems wrong on this one. Makes you wonder if he changed it and never wrote it down. Like the others though I just made the alternative engine mounts and used a 25mm tube. I also ended up welding a much smaller splined shaft onto the end to slot into the universal joint at the rack so it would pass by the uprights ok. I would personally recommend also welding the splined shaft onto the top of the universal joint as mine "broke" in that even when fully tightened up it would end up slipping when I got towards full lock on the top section of the universal joint.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:46 AM

Most tube will be fine for the job and stronger than original, most important thing for me is to get the extension welded true the last thing you want is to have the column turning eccentrically. Fit the rack and column then tack the extension in-situ and rotate the column to make sure it's true. If you need to remake the mounts then use the opportunity to change the rubbers to better ones, land rover mounts, the existing mounts do tend to perish with age.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 31st October 2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
If you need to remake the mounts then use the opportunity to change the rubbers to better ones, land rover mounts, the existing mounts do tend to perish with age.

AndyH
I think it's not emphasized enough that the Sierra mounts offer much more comfort than the Land Rover V8 mounts.

I4 engines have an inherent dynamic imbalance that makes the engine vibrate up-down at two times the frequency of the crankshaft. This is usually countered with soft engine mounts that eat this vibration. Land Rover mounts are very stiff and don't absorb much of that vibration, making the whole car noticeably vibrate on idle. This adds to the sporty feel of loud exhaust, no windshield, GRP seats.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
I think it's not emphasized enough that the Sierra mounts offer much more comfort than the Land Rover V8 mounts.

I4 engines have an inherent dynamic imbalance that makes the engine vibrate up-down at two times the frequency of the crankshaft. This is usually countered with soft engine mounts that eat this vibration. Land Rover mounts are very stiff and don't absorb much of that vibration, making the whole car noticeably vibrate on idle. This adds to the sporty feel of loud exhaust, no windshield, GRP seats.
I'm not sure there Albert, I and a few builders around me have replaced the sierra mounts for land rover fitting them to various engines. On tickover they provide enough dampening to reduce vibration with the larger and softer sierra mounts you can noticeably feel the engine move when driving and you get a lot of movement back through the gearbox and stick, feels like the engine is sat on 2 large bowls of jelly. I've seen 2 sierra mounts snap at the bottom bolt because of the extra movement and lateral forces induced by hard driving and cornering. One on mine i didn't notice till the engine was removed on the cvh.....

My car has a resonant frequency at 4k you can feel when dropping down the gears but that's more the car then the engine. Again it's all about choice, good thing about the self build. In fact suns coming out here so might be going out soon to test them again..........

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH

Last edited by spud69 : 1st November 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 1st November 2012, 10:00 AM

howay oop an tek mi missus oot
Old 1st November 2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
howay oop an tek mi missus oot
Think i understand you Kevin...........

Got kids with me today so have got to wait to the little one goes to contact when i'll have an hour to go out. Let's go for next week sometime, weather permitting.

Regards..........AndyH
Old 1st November 2012, 10:29 AM

your on Andy....sorry about the wee hijack Will
Old 1st November 2012, 12:34 PM

Not a problem Kev
Old 1st November 2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
I'm not sure there Albert, I and a few builders around me have replaced the sierra mounts for land rover fitting them to various engines. On tickover they provide enough dampening to reduce vibration with the larger and softer sierra mounts you can noticeably feel the engine move when driving and you get a lot of movement back through the gearbox and stick, feels like the engine is sat on 2 large bowls of jelly. I've seen 2 sierra mounts snap at the bottom bolt because of the extra movement and lateral forces induced by hard driving and cornering. One on mine i didn't notice till the engine was removed on the cvh.....
I've used Landy mounts, too, but they're so stiff that the engine never moves more than a couple of millimetres relative to the chassis. Sierra mounts were the exact opposite. I just wanted to point out there is a technical reason why the original mounts are so soft, and we should be aware of the trade off when replacing them with something much stiffer.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
I've used Landy mounts, too, but they're so stiff that the engine never moves more than a couple of millimetres relative to the chassis. Sierra mounts were the exact opposite. I just wanted to point out there is a technical reason why the original mounts are so soft, and we should be aware of the trade off when replacing them with something much stiffer.
Completely understand Albert, there are different grades of rubber mounts used in the land rover. Cant remember which is which now for each engine but a bit of googling would soon reveal all.

Cheers.......AndyH

Regards..........AndyH