Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th August 2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr henderson View Post
I think for that to happen what is needed is people to sell a complete kit, just buying a chassis still leaves people with the problem of where to buy the other bits- wishbones, rollover bar, uprights etc.

The secret of selling is not to give customers problems such as where to buy all the other bits, but to take the problems away, in exchange for their money.
thats one of the MAIN thoughts behind my venture, i wanted to be able to offer a kit that pretty much made it easier for a new (maybe inexperienced )
builder the chance to build a Roadster.

basically to be able to buy a either a full donor or parts & to get their Roadster to the "rolling" stage quite quickly & easily.

i do wish Clydeautomarine the very best of success in the Roadster "world",
& that is said sincerely.

cheers
andy
Old 7th August 2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
thats one of the MAIN thoughts behind my venture, i wanted to be able to offer a kit that pretty much made it easier for a new (maybe inexperienced )
builder the chance to build a Roadster.

basically to be able to buy a either a full donor or parts & to get their Roadster to the "rolling" stage quite quickly & easily.

i do wish Clydeautomarine the very best of success in the Roadster "world",
& that is said sincerely.

cheers
andy
Will you be offering a rollover bar as well? Reason I ask is I don't know of anyone offering one so the customer is still going to have a problem, and unless someone does offer one, they aren't going to be able to finish the car.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:41 PM

i don,t wish to Hijack clydeautomarine,s thread,

but i,m in the process of arranging a supplier of the main roll hoop at the moment,

cheers
andy
Old 7th August 2009, 09:48 PM

How much is your chassis going to be john?
Ray
Old 7th August 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 View Post
How much is your chassis going to be john?
Ray
Do you mean me? I'm not planning to offer one, there would be little point when Andy is supplying at such good prices, and as I said before, I am more likely to be a buyer than a seller. Pretty busy with the kitfinishing at the moment, though.
Old 8th August 2009, 12:17 AM

Sorry John but i am confused as you posted a thread which said and i quote:
Having gone to all this trouble, and having become recently aware of the difficulty in obtaining a ready-made chassis, I am now wondering if I should offer ready-made chassis to others. In order to know how much to ask, though, I have to know just what I am going to be supplying, in other words, just what is a complete chassis?
This was copied and pasted from a previous post. My question was a genuine one as you had said you were going to do this yourself and i was wondering what prices people actually charge in different areas and if there is a market and good profit margin in making chassis and selling them on.
I have already said on here that I was thinking of offering chassis and parts for sale myself and now i can see there seems to be at least 3 different people offering chassis at varying prices and states of completion from a little over £300 to nearly a grand but still noone in the south west. you come across as being very knowledgable about the profit margin available so that is why i asked what you would be charging
Ray
Old 8th August 2009, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

sorry to chuck a spaner in the works but your engine mounts are wrong. they should be set square. will post a picture up in the moning to show what i mean.
Old 8th August 2009, 12:47 AM

something like this
not exactly to the book but similar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_489.jpg (81.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 8th August 2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 View Post
Sorry John but i am confused as you posted a thread which said and i quote:
Having gone to all this trouble, and having become recently aware of the difficulty in obtaining a ready-made chassis, I am now wondering if I should offer ready-made chassis to others. In order to know how much to ask, though, I have to know just what I am going to be supplying, in other words, just what is a complete chassis?
This was copied and pasted from a previous post. My question was a genuine one as you had said you were going to do this yourself and i was wondering what prices people actually charge in different areas and if there is a market and good profit margin in making chassis and selling them on.
I have already said on here that I was thinking of offering chassis and parts for sale myself and now i can see there seems to be at least 3 different people offering chassis at varying prices and states of completion from a little over £300 to nearly a grand but still noone in the south west. you come across as being very knowledgable about the profit margin available so that is why i asked what you would be charging
Ray

Indeed, but I did also say

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr henderson View Post

Oh, and by the way, if anyone knows of somebody who is already selling a complete chassis (and which is available within a reasonable length of time) I would be very interested, and would simply buy one and cancel my own chassis-making plans and get on with my car building plans.
and that's what I've done, I've cancellled my own chassis making plans and am getting on with my car building plans.

In my case the profit margin wasn't going to be so good as I would need to get a skilled welder in to do the final welding, and in any case chassis making alongside customer car assembly isn't ideal, there's the need to keep grinding dust etc away from the other cars.

It just depends on the set-up. I am paying quite a reasonable amount of rent for quite a big workshop and am able to get as many cars as I want to work on at £18 an hour (which helps to cover the rent and other costs). I doubt I could match that on chassis making at prices that would compete with HandyAndy's.

If I wasn't so busy with customer cars I would have already placed an order with him.
Old 8th August 2009, 09:30 AM

If any body on here is looking to buy a chassis I can supply a basic chassis with transmission tunnel,suspension mounts,full wish bone set less bushes, engine mounts,seat belt anchors,stearing collumn and rack mounts for £650.
Delivery or collection 10 days after 20% deposit paid.
As for any body selling any thing on ebay the very best of luck to you.