Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd March 2011, 10:40 PM

At the end of the day you get what you pay for,pay peanuts get shite.Personally have had no dealings with Saturn but Handy and Spud are on the forum a lot and would be easy to contact and always seem willing to offer advice and feedback on anything without pushing you to anything they sell.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:15 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback its always nice to see.

The polybushes themselves are actually very cheap for what they are it is the stainless steel crush tubes that make up the majority of the cost, they are not standard steel tube and need to be made from stainless steel rod, drilling them and finishing off in the lathe. So for 22 of these they do put the price up a fair bit.

TBH mine are bought in and sold at more or less cost price just to make them available so i'm not sure how they, if like for like, can be offered so cheap.

Everybody has a choice......

All the Best...>Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 4th March 2011, 12:27 PM

i have 3ge set and yes thoes little tubes are where all the money goes but now john has closed 3ge
if you dont want satern ones for any reason.
rally design do some (may need mod'ing slightly) and so do superflex but i think thay will be expensive

just one of thoes roadster non standerd parts i guss
Old 4th March 2011, 03:18 PM

Will go for saturn ones when i got the spare cash. Nice shiney red ones lol.

Good news is i ordered a 8x6 shed so can store all the extra garage stuff in the garden and have some work space at last!

Epoxy Mastic 121 arives monday so can start to paint stuff. This weekend i plan to mount the Diff. Clean up the diff any any other parts so i can crack on with the painting on monday. Also want to do part4 of my youtube vids as it been 6 months from my last one.

It feels so good to be back into the build again.
Also thanks for everyones replys!

Skyline Roadster
Old 5th March 2011, 04:21 PM

Out of interest what size bolts do you guys use for the driff brackets to chassis? i was thinking m12 x 40 with thread lock nuts. Would that be too long?

Edit: went for 40mm as i can allways cut them down after.

Skyline Roadster

Last edited by Eternal : 5th March 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:59 AM

I Have used some M12 X 40 set bolts for my diff mounting brackets ( All I could find in the workshop ) , to be honest, they look a little bit over the top for the job

I would imagine that M12 X 30's would be ideal

Noticed that you have gone for 40's, like you say, not a problem to trim them to the ideal length

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 9th March 2011, 11:25 AM

Thinking of using 2mm steel sheet for the floor of the chassis and to get it on sooner rather than later. Im just unsure about having rivited and bonded ally taking all the stress and train from the chassis twist and will feel alot safer with welded steel sheet.

Anyone have any tips on the weld order to stop the sheet from distorting and looking nasty?

Skyline Roadster
Old 9th March 2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
Thinking of using 2mm steel sheet for the floor of the chassis and to get it on sooner rather than later. Im just unsure about having rivited and bonded ally taking all the stress and train from the chassis twist and will feel alot safer with welded steel sheet.

Anyone have any tips on the weld order to stop the sheet from distorting and looking nasty?
plenty of tacks about every inch then weld short lengths leaving each to cool before doing one next to it
the more tacks you have the better and thay also help heat transfer to the tube so your sheet dont buckle as it expands when you weld
another tip is if you get some zinc weld trough spray and spray the bottom of the tube and top edges of the sheet it will help preventing rust in the bit your not going to get paint in on the overlap
Old 9th March 2011, 05:24 PM

Ahh sweet! also i presume thats welding on the outside of the chassis. i guess i should just do tacks on the inside or would that need seam welding as well?

Todays update Part 1
Had a massive garage sort out. Built a shed and moved all the mess into it. Still need to find a home for the Milling machine stand. Also built the table/workbench.

Engine/Welders in new home.

Chassis in new home. Not much space around the side but will do for the time being.

Ahhh the current problem. The holes in the chassis diff plates are 11mm wide >_< were bought from 3ge last year, they are ment to be 12.5 right?(dont have book to hand atm). I went to go bolt the diff up and found it wont fit. Then found the 12.5mm drill bits wont fit in my hand drill. Cock is all i can say! So anyhow i cant exactly remove them and dont want to use smaller bolts.

Skyline Roadster

Last edited by Eternal : 9th March 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 9th March 2011, 06:22 PM

Today's update Part 2
Allmost finished the 7.5inch Granada Diff brackets. The 25x80mm ally round is going to be cut down and then drilled with a 12.5mm drill to make a nice spacer rather than using a load of washers.

Skyline Roadster

Last edited by Eternal : 9th March 2011 at 07:48 PM.