Old 28th May 2009, 11:36 PM

Well you could build one...

http://www.circletrack.com/howto/782...t_1/index.html
Old 28th May 2009, 11:53 PM

haven,t even got a tow bar on my van
nice link tho.
andy
Old 29th May 2009, 06:15 PM

Snapper, I have no intention to mislead anybody nor get into a whole dialog of who is right or wrong.
I have been a tester and AE for more years than I care to remember and can only state what I have been told when presented with an unregisteded vehicle and also done for many years ie MOt testing cars that are not registered mainly Jap imports. They are not registered with DVLA and put on VOSA system at the time of test creating a new record.
A trip to LVLO with test, insurance,SVA etc gets you a reg no and cert to purchase number plates also needed as you have no log book.

I totally agree the this needs to be put to bed once and for all and everybody should act cautiously and the safest way is a trailer or maybe tow it there.
The problem with forum's is that everybody know's a little, and knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I am going to VOSA soon and will ask the question and post straight from the horses mouth .
Old 1st June 2009, 09:13 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks , for clearing that up!
Old 1st June 2009, 10:45 AM

MMM, clear as mud to me! I thought you had to mot it on chassis number before the iva,
I will ask the garage next door to work when im next in to see if they know
or perhaps there is someone whos actually done it could give a definitive answer to put this to bed once and for all.
So come on whos done it ? step up take a bow and help us understand
thanks
Ray
Old 1st June 2009, 12:37 PM

Hi Ray

Yes, the system is about as clear as mud.

I don't think that any individuals are responsible for the situation. Just seems to be the system in general.

Having spent hours & hours reading both the DVLA & VOSA websites, information into the full IVA process is non existent.

Even at local level. Speak to VOSA in person, different staff will give you conflicting advice.
The same is true if you speak to staff at your local DVLA office.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 1st June 2009, 03:31 PM

Default Iva & Mot

Hi to all that have been following this thread.

Unable to bear the unclear situation any longer I telephoned my local IVA test centre.

I was lucky enough to be able to speak to the IVA examiner in person.
Exeptionaly pleasant to talk to & was super helpful.

It was explained that I was building an ameteur built kit car & using a single donor as a source of parts.

I raised the subject of MOT.
It transpires that a MOT is not required in order to carry out the IVA test but due to the age of the donor it will require an MOT before it can be registered with the local DVLA

I was advised that as an MOT will be required at some stage it would be best to have an MOT before the IVA.
Purely to know that the car meets the required MOT Standard. As a bonus you will know that the brakes & emissions are corectly set up.

The car can be driven to the IVA provided it is insured.

I would assume that any exemption from MOT during the first 3 years is limited to an all new build with a current registration mark.

Q or age related plate will require an MOT test prior to registration.

Me ole mucker Flyerncle was right & I was wrong

This information was direct from the person who will ultimately be doing my IVA test.
I'll be following his advice to the letter. Finish car, MOT,IVA, Register at my local DVLA, Then enjoy

I will trailer to IVA though. A 250 mile round trip in an unknown entity will do my brain in

I hope this helps some of you.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 1st June 2009, 06:38 PM

"Me ole mucker Flyerncle was right & I was wrong "

I will settle for once in my life ! There is no right or wrong with government departments, rules are meant to be interpreted by the individual (read as "bent) to suit themselves.Some may call it progress,others may see the truth nobody really knows whats happening untill its happened and then they will realise its not working and balls it up even more .Great Britain, not any more!

Dont let it worry you Ronnie
Old 3rd June 2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I raised the subject of MOT.
It transpires that a MOT is not required in order to carry out the IVA test but due to the age of the donor it will require an MOT before it can be registered with the local DVLA
The whole point of SVA/IVA is to asses the vehicle for safety and road worthyness, the MOT is not as stringent as IVA and cover the same but less points.
The IVA examiner does not know what he is talking about.
DVLA decied the date of the MOT based on the cars date of first registration, not build date.
VOSA and DVLA have some overlap but are two different organisations, VOSA is a German company owned Agency.

I stand by what is said, but no inference about flyerncle my earlier reply was definately not pointed towards him but to the way the thread was going. So flyerncle please accept my appologies if you thought i was having a personal pop at you, i was not, i pride myself on not getting personal on forums so sorry once again.

The new IVA rules are realy not that different from the old SVA ones and only some of the tests have changed (and the cost).
The MOT chestnut has been bantered around for years on SVA forum related questions and obviously still an issue.
My view is, don't go for MOT until told to do so.
I will also ask VOSA and DVLA, i may use some Police contacts to ask some pertenant questions on the lines of " if i stop a kit car, newly registered"
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:25 PM

No need for appologies,no offence taken, thats why we are all on here like minded soles looking for the Holy Grail (IVA'D Roadster).

Regards All