Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2009, 05:56 PM

Default Cutting box section for chassis

All my box section should be delivered on Thursday

So today I have been, trying to work out a cutting list of sorts

I ordered 36m of 25 x 25 but i'm gonna have to cut it into 3m lengths to store it and i don't think i've ordered enough

How have others cut the box section up, i.e. to a cutting list or just out of the lengths, using a new length if the remainder is not long enough?

IVA passed 20 June 2017
Flickr Album
Old 19th July 2009, 06:24 PM

I'm fortunate in that I can store it full length. What I tend to do is cut it as I need it, and I go more by whether the piece I am going to cut from the remaining length is going to leave a usable length as a remainder.

For instance, let's say I want a piece 825mm. Let's suppose the length I am cutting is 930mm. Long enough, yes, but the cut remainder is going to be only just over 100mm long. In that case I will cut the 825mm from a new length. If you see what I mean.

A general theory of cutting from lengths is to cut the longest pieces first, idea being that if you mess one up, it will still yeild one of the shorter pieces

Last edited by mr henderson : 19th July 2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: To add another thought
Old 19th July 2009, 06:38 PM

This may save you a little aggro and make the bottom and top rails a little stronger. I left them in one length and cut the angle's out of only three sides so this leaves you with a continuous length and one less weld per cut.
Old 20th July 2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr henderson View Post
I'm fortunate in that I can store it full length. What I tend to do is cut it as I need it, and I go more by whether the piece I am going to cut from the remaining length is going to leave a usable length as a remainder.

For instance, let's say I want a piece 825mm. Let's suppose the length I am cutting is 930mm. Long enough, yes, but the cut remainder is going to be only just over 100mm long. In that case I will cut the 825mm from a new length. If you see what I mean.

A general theory of cutting from lengths is to cut the longest pieces first, idea being that if you mess one up, it will still yeild one of the shorter pieces
Good tips - I'll keep it in mind.

Ta.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:58 AM

I accidentally ordered way too much, it came in 7 meter lengths.

Now I have so much left over I'm gonna make a trailer/dolly/a-frame or something from it.