Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th September 2016, 07:54 PM

Default mx5 engine location

i know a number of builds have placed the mx5 engine slightly off centre to aid the bonnet fitting, but cant find any specific dimensions?

can anyone let me know how far over they placed theirs from centre?

thanks
chris
Old 20th September 2016, 08:02 PM

I think it's the 1.6 that needs locating off centre, I put my 1.8 on centre & everything fits fine.
Old 20th September 2016, 08:13 PM

it really depends on what engine and what bonnet, if you look through my build photos you can see mine is offset (can measure if needed)
Mine is a 2003 svt engine with the gubbins on the rocker cover but iirc it was the corner of the plenum that was touching the inside edge of the bonnet / scoop return (large scoop bonnet Gillham , now vmax)
if you have the bodywork then you can trial fit, jig the engine and make the mounts to suit , again simple mounts as per my pics in build thread, oh and this gives me good sump clearance..... so far !!
this allowed me to use the gearbox mount as per Saturn plans and a spare engine mount rubber screwed into the bottom of the gearbox
hth gary
Old 20th September 2016, 08:28 PM

just checked back your build thread and you have a bonnet so the best is to block the engine up and lay the bonnet on the top rails and then wiggle adjust the engine / box to suit don't worry if it slightly off center as the prop will take care of that just make sure when you clear the bonnet that the bell housing is clear of the chassis rails and that you have enough room for the clutch arm to move (sorry Steve)
what age engine have you? as there are a few oddities around the later ones electrics , guess how I know.......
as before any questions fire away and we will do our best to help and its no problem at all as folk helped me out with pointers when I was building mine
Old 20th September 2016, 09:17 PM

thanks again gary, its a 1996, but i dont have they inlet manifold etc for it so wont yet be able to work out heights whilst fitting the bonnet, but to be fair im not at that stage, but you know how it is when your mind starts wandering and trying to work far in advance
Old 20th September 2016, 09:29 PM

Yes I know so just to throw fuel on the fire are the plans to go std inlet or throttle bodies ????
Not that I would tempt you
I have a supercharger on her and a set of throttle bodies for a winter upgrade as well .......
Old 20th September 2016, 09:38 PM

the plan is to build her standard and get the iva pass, then I can start playing

probably turbo in the future, but I have to keep prompting myself to stop thinking of after iva and concentrate on passing it first.

im at a great advantage as I passed my stuart taylor some years ago so I have that experience on my side, but it was built with a crossflow, which literally can be squeezed into a shoe box lol
Old 20th September 2016, 10:07 PM

Iva passed with supercharger on emissions spot on and a very enthusiastic tester when he drove it and anyway nowt wrong with planning ahead
Old 20th September 2016, 10:24 PM

I have a few bodywork offers on at the moment incase i haven't shoved it down everyones throat enough
Old 20th September 2016, 10:27 PM

Scratch that last comment let me know when you need a pair of side panels