Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st April 2018, 08:22 AM

Default MX5 NB and Sigma

Hi,

Does anyone know if the MX5 NB 1800 engine has a "Sigma" gear box fitting bolt pattern (same as Duratec and Ecoboost)

There is an MX5 NB gear box from 2000 for sale not too far from where I live.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/14...4.htm/?ca=12_s

As I plan to upgrade my Roadster with an 1.6L 4 cylinder Ecoboost engine, if the gearbox is a direct fit, it might make things easier.

Also, how many HP can this gearbox take? According to the version, 1.6L Ecoboost can go up to 180HP.

Thanks.
Old 21st April 2018, 04:34 PM

Afraid not Sylvain - you need a mark 3 / NC MX5 gearbox.

Someone might be selling one if you fancy going to Stoneleigh next month

An NC box should take the power/torque of an Ecoboost - the NC Supercup race cars are about 180bhp (but would likely be less torque than a 180bhp Ecoboost).

An NA / NB box is rated for about 250bhp (for a 5 speed) and a bit more for the vastly more expensive 6 speed.
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:43 AM

Thanks a lot for the answer. That clarifies a lot to me.
There is no emergency or hurry, it was just because there is an opportunity for an 2nd hand NB gearbox here, but I'm sure I will find something when the time to swap the engine comes.
Thanks you
Old 26th April 2018, 11:33 AM

When Ford made that Formula Ford 'road car' with the Ecoboost several years ago I posted on Locostbuilders asking whether it was a 7-able powerplant for the future. There were lots of posts at the time saying it was a really tall engine and so probably no good....

Does it turn out it fits afterall?
Old 29th April 2018, 12:38 PM

Yes, I remember that thread.
Honestly, I can't tell if it will fit for sure, as I don't even have the engine yet . What I know is my 2.0i DOHC Sierra engine is already pretty tall.
Also, people replying on LCB are mostly locost/westfield/tiger/etc. builders, with much smaller chassis than the Haynes Roadster, so they can be scared by a tell engine that won't fit their tiny engine bays, but might be able to fit in a Haynes.
I also know that someone on LCB is making the swap to an Ecoboost, but I don't remember what car he has. It is worth a search on LCB.
Old 29th April 2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
Yes, I remember that thread.
Honestly, I can't tell if it will fit for sure, as I don't even have the engine yet . What I know is my 2.0i DOHC Sierra engine is already pretty tall.
Also, people replying on LCB are mostly locost/westfield/tiger/etc. builders, with much smaller chassis than the Haynes Roadster, so they can be scared by a tell engine that won't fit their tiny engine bays, but might be able to fit in a Haynes.
I also know that someone on LCB is making the swap to an Ecoboost, but I don't remember what car he has. It is worth a search on LCB.
Completely off topic but I was at the first 'closed public roads' rally in England last weekend, just a few miles from where I live. (Coming from mainland Europe you may think it daft we have never done this before.... )But I was talking to a co-driver from a Darrian (finished 3rd overall I think in the end) - he said they'd just taken a 2.5ltr Millington engine out to be replaced by a 1.6 EcoBoost based turbo engine and it's v. interesting to read that article saying it has 'standard' internals to won't need regular rebuilds. That's in a serious competition car - his peers will think nothing of an engine rebuild after a few events...!