Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th December 2009, 07:53 PM

Exclamation It nearly runs - errrr - So close

Gents

As promised and tattooed onto my brain by AshG and HandyAndy, I filmed the first start up today. Its was very cold, but luckily in the workshop it was about 8 degrees.

The day started with some running around desperately trying to use PTFE tape to seal all the fuel leaks.

Secondly the coil pulse was not activating the fuel pump relay, or the purple relay was not tripping, so I managed to bypass it with a wire to get some pressure into the system. I am not sure if the fuel return should be continuous? but nothing seems to be coming back to the tank?

Anyway, managed to get the v6 beast turning, but could not get it to run. Any ideas where to go now? -

I was thinking about the heater in the old car, i simply bypassed it with a pipe top to bottom, should this or can it be capped off?

Will check the fuel system next week by disconnecting from the fuel distributor and seeing how much fuel is pumped.

I have uploaded the link onto year two below!
Old 20th December 2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

if its injection it should be returning all the time. just put 12v on the fuel pump. do you know how many bar the fuel pump produces? i would guess the regulator on the fuel rail is either 2.5 or 3 bar

by pass is fine. i capped mine off but not sure if it would cause a problem on a v6. certainly wouldnt stop it starting

Last edited by AshG : 20th December 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 20th December 2009, 08:41 PM

I'm using brand new FSE Sytec (Bosch 0580254911) Ford Sierra 2.8i 4X4 Injection Fuel bullet pump with a FSE Sytec Universal Fuel Injection Pump Pre Filter.
Old 20th December 2009, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Are the plugs wet?

Try lifting the air plate a little by hand.

TT
Old 20th December 2009, 10:40 PM

It was brand new plugs, but I will check this, cheers
Old 20th December 2009, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

i think he ment is there fuel on the plugs although i could be wrong.

has it got an auto choke?
Old 20th December 2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

If it's the 2.8 MFi in his pics then it will not have a choke..

TBH... I hate K-Jet. I spent 3 hrs trying to revive my m8's MK2 golf 16V after a 6 month layup!!

Does the 2.8 have the cold start valve, that can be rigged to spray a little fuel in if the main injectors are not firing..

Other than that and lifting the air plate to stimulate fuel preasure I don't remember much about the 2.8 MFi set up.

ask on www.xrstyle.co.uk/forums

TT
Old 21st December 2009, 08:21 PM

Yes, it does have a cold start valve, how can this be rigged to spray fuel? It sounds like most of my problems are fuel related? That's all the bits I replaced, so have a good few tips to try again on Thursday. Cheers Guys
Old 21st December 2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

little tip buy a can of easy start. take off the air filter and spray it in the inlet as you try and start it. if its just cold then that should get you going. my knowledge of the ford v6 lumps is vague at best. the best way to approach it is you know it worked fine before so it should mechanically be ok. chances are its something stupid stopping it from going.

check all the sensors to make sure nothing has been moved check the ht leads are on the correct way round and you dizzy isnt damp. then check you have spark. if you have fuel and its not firing i would expect the plugs to be wet with petrol when you take them out.

if you have got spark plugs that are sparking but are damp with fuel and it wont go then it could be timing. if you have no fuel go over the fuel system. remember you only need fuel spark and air so go through each, one by one.

Last edited by AshG : 21st December 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Cold start is just a ver crude injector, shoudl have two wires one being earht other +12v...

I can't remember if it's switched on the posetive or negative. But anyway. Get it to squirt some fuel by electrifying it manualy and somone turning over the engine.

IF it does not fire then...

Check the firing order..

check the dizzy is not 180 degrees out ( if it's been removed ) as this is a common one on the V6 .

TT