Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10th November 2014, 07:32 PM
JasonL JasonL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
I cut the actual vin number out of the chassis too.

Cheers
Stot
Was thinking of just filing it off. Is that too risky? Is it only stamped in the one place (bulkhead)?

Thanks.

J
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10th November 2014, 09:43 PM
Stot's Avatar
Stot Stot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
Was thinking of just filing it off. Is that too risky? Is it only stamped in the one place (bulkhead)?

Thanks.

J
It was more to prove I scrapped the car to the DVLA. Sent it off with my paperwork.

Cheers
Stot
__________________
1.6 Mazda B6 : Garrett TBO339 : 420cc WRX Injectors : FMIC : Microsquirt V3 : LC-2 Wideband : Toyota COP
Build Started Jan 2013 : OTR Aug 2014 : Build Pictures
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 6th December 2014, 02:17 PM
JasonL JasonL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 63
Default Recommendation for someone to take the donor carcass away

Can anyone recommend a scrap dealer who will take the carcass away for free?

I'm in Warwick.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 6th December 2014, 05:31 PM
vmax1974's Avatar
vmax1974 vmax1974 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Teesside
Posts: 1,140
Default

I just persuaded the local pikeys to take it just gave them a letter confirming they never stole it had to help them get it on the wagon but they took it although am not sure the horse was impressed should have filmed it they positioned the cart on the drive put the horse on the garden to cut the grass then about 15lads turned up and just picked the whole thing up and there it was gone


have a word and see
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 6th December 2014, 05:38 PM
JasonL JasonL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 63
Default

That' fantastic! I might do it just to be able to tell the story.

Thanks.

J
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 6th December 2014, 05:42 PM
vmax1974's Avatar
vmax1974 vmax1974 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Teesside
Posts: 1,140
Default

Lol yeah we still living in the stone age here lol
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 1st February 2015, 10:35 PM
World's Worst Mechanic World's Worst Mechanic is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
Can anyone recommend a scrap dealer who will take the carcass away for free?

I'm in Warwick.
Did you find someone? I'm a few weeks behind you and just down the road in Leam
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 2nd February 2015, 07:52 PM
JasonL JasonL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by World's Worst Mechanic View Post
Did you find someone? I'm a few weeks behind you and just down the road in Leam
Yep. http://midlandsmetalrecycling.com - they were going to cut it up, but suggested we could load it up with a little muscle. I didn't fancy the mess, so we used my engine crane and three of us to load it onto their flatbed.

Price was right (free) and they were good, so I'd recommend them.

What donor are you using?

Are you welding it up yourself?

If you're like me and don't have the skills or want to speed up your build, Phil at Talon is great.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:43 AM
World's Worst Mechanic World's Worst Mechanic is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
Yep. http://midlandsmetalrecycling.com - they were going to cut it up, but suggested we could load it up with a little muscle. I didn't fancy the mess, so we used my engine crane and three of us to load it onto their flatbed.

Price was right (free) and they were good, so I'd recommend them.

What donor are you using?

Are you welding it up yourself?

If you're like me and don't have the skills or want to speed up your build, Phil at Talon is great.
Thanks for that. Sounds good.

Using an BMW e36 328i as I initially wanted to do a gkd and this engine has a lot of bang for your buck. Thought I'd do a Haynes as it'd be a couple of grand up front for gkd kit which would be noticed. The money acrues faster than I can work to spend it this way.

Not sure about the welding. I fancy the challenge but I'm not sure I'll be saying that before long! I will be buying in the bones or have them fabbed as that looks a pain.

Once I have the donor stripped and out the way I will decide. Are you welding the chassis?
__________________
If it ain't broke, I didn't fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:41 PM
JasonL JasonL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by World's Worst Mechanic View Post
Thanks for that. Sounds good.

Using an BMW e36 328i as I initially wanted to do a gkd and this engine has a lot of bang for your buck. Thought I'd do a Haynes as it'd be a couple of grand up front for gkd kit which would be noticed. The money acrues faster than I can work to spend it this way.

Not sure about the welding. I fancy the challenge but I'm not sure I'll be saying that before long! I will be buying in the bones or have them fabbed as that looks a pain.

Once I have the donor stripped and out the way I will decide. Are you welding the chassis?
No. I bought a fully welded chassis from Phil (http://www.talonmotorfabrication.co.uk) - he did a Christmas special, so couldn't resist.

I'm using an MX5 donor and he's tweaked the standard chassis for it. I figure with the weight saving it should be plenty for me. If not, there are a lot of turbo kits to boost the power to levels that are high enough for me to kill myself.

He does a standard chassis too and will probably tweak it if you ask nicely. You should speak to him about it before you decide.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.