Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2013, 11:34 PM

Maybe I should invest in some cardboard to reduce the cooling efficiency . How is your roadster coming along?

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:37 PM

Rolling chassis for past couple of years since I last saw you Simon,change of job and other kak have stalled it but sorting bits and pieces.

Have new job as garage service manager to start soon so wages are better and want to get it sorted for my own satisfaction,just got 2ltr Zetec for nothing and set of Mondeo wheels,nice little tickle !

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 16th May 2013, 02:25 PM

We'll it's been a long while since I've updated this, I've been moving forward with the wiring and have the loom in place with cable tie backs riveted to the chassis and cable ties, which means in the future if there is anything that needs adding it will be quite easy.

I started off using insulated crimps but I wasn't happy with the quality of them so I have bought some Superseal connectors which Premier Looms confirmed will be fine with my setup. I have gone for a number of 4 way, 3 way and 2 way connectors to connect the headlights, radiator fan, indicators, rear light clusters, fuel pump, reverse switch and number plate light. I've also ordered a special set of ratchet crimps to create these connections which are yet to arrive so they are delaying me some what. Here is a picture of one:

I have also ordered the remaining bits (except hose finishers) that I need to finish off my fuelling system. I have bought another set of ZX9R bike carbs, these are the E type kind and therefore have a TPS built in, I didn't realise when I bought my original ones that I needed a TPS, it can be done using a MAP sensor but again my inlet manifold does not have the adapters on them, so I have a spare set of carbs if anyone would like to make me an offer.

I think once I have finished wiring up all of my connectors I will buy myself a Megajolt ECU and a digidash, I should then be able to start my engine.

I still need to finish off my cooling system and sort out all of my body work but everything seems to be coming together now.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Last edited by Tatey : 16th May 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 19th May 2013, 11:14 PM

I've now managed to wire the headlights, radiator fan, reverse switch, handbrake switch and horn. I'm waiting for a few more connectors to allow me to wire up the rear lights. I've also tidied up the loom slightly by running some cables down the sheathing for the reverse switch/handbrake switch.

The fuel lines are now complete after my 10mm fuel hose + 10mm to 8mm inline adapters arrived, I just need to order some more 8mm fuel hose as the braid has become a bit knackered at for the fuel filter hoses + some hose finishers to complete it. Below are some pictures:

Old 30th May 2013, 05:43 PM

I've now wired my reverse and fog lights, fuel pump as well as soldering/heat shrinking all of the column cables, I have left out the wiper switches as I wont have a windscreen, but my loom has them in, so it gives me the opportunity in the future to put them in if I want to.

I have also drilled and tapped my offside mushroom/upright as well as reaming out the upright.

I've continued running my loom and have ordered some non-adhesive loom tape to allow me to tidy up the column wiring as it is just a jumble of wires at the moment.

I have also now mounted my front indicators and also now need to fill a hole in my nosecone where I drilled the hole in the wrong place .

My next job is to drill and tap/ream the nearside upright and then fibreglass the wings to the wing stays.

I still have a few more wiring jobs to do like welding bolts to the chassis to act as earth points and adding connectors to all of my earth leads, connecting up the front indicators and mounting the rear lights. I also need to order a fuel tank sender and wire that up.

So I'm managing to make a fair amount of progress at the minute now that I have finished my exams at uni, I will have officially finished my degree next Thursday after giving a couple of presentations, but only having another 2 weeks until I go on holiday for 2 weeks and then start my job the week after I don't have too much time so I'm trying to fit in as many jobs as I can. Then I have the task of deciding how I will get my kit car down south, I am thinking of just hiring another long wheel base transit van and stripping the car down completely putting into the back of the van and then rebuilding it, which will allow me to do the final fitment as I don't own a car with a tow bar to allow me to tow it.

Old 30th May 2013, 06:11 PM

sounds like you are going to have a lot on your plate over the next few months....... good luck with it all bud
Old 30th May 2013, 08:04 PM

Cheers Kev, I honestly don't think I have ever had a clear plate...but I guess that's half the fun otherwise I'd be bored.

I've just finished drilling/tapping the nearside upright and reaming it out for the bottom ball joint.

One question I do have is that there appears to be a slight amount of play between the top ball joint and the wishbone, am I right to think that I require a locking nut to remove this play? If so what thread size is it?

Old 30th May 2013, 09:05 PM

yup....M18 x 1.5
Old 30th May 2013, 09:17 PM

Thanks Kev, just to confirm they are a right hand thread? I'd go to the garage and check but I've literally just bolted everything back together.

Old 30th May 2013, 09:36 PM

I have just been doing catch up on your thread tatey . You have been busy, its all coming together well . I noticed you are multi colour on the f/g at the moment. What colour scheme are you going for?

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669