Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th July 2013, 07:32 PM

Default Seatbelt extension?

My seatbelt saga continues. I have some proper 7 style TRS belts now but with the seats I have the lap adjuster is nearly impossible to use.

Because the lower part of the seat belt is so short, the adjuster buckle that you need to peel back to allow adjustment is trapped between the seat side and the side of the car.

One option is to cut out the seat belt mounts and weld them in higher/further along. This option isn't great because I have bonded the trans tunnel sides on now and the chassis is painted.

Another option would be to make up some extenders with some 3-5mm plate and bolt these in between the seat belt anchor point and the seat belt mounting hole which would give me the extra length I need.

I think this would work fine and be as safe as bolting directly to the chassis but dont know how the IVA would look at it.

Final option is to get custom made seat belts, or have these ones professionally altered so I can specify this length.

Any opinions out there?

Cheers
Stot
Old 25th July 2013, 08:15 PM

The ones Johno got from Prima Motorsport look really nicely made and FIA approved too.
Old 25th July 2013, 08:27 PM

They are cool but twice the cost of these ones and its only going to be a road car so I didnt want to spend that much on harnesses. I will If I have to but...

They have these things on ebay,

Those wont be e marked but they work on the principal of my metal straps so I hope it might be a good solution.

Cheers
Stot
Old 25th July 2013, 09:02 PM

Can you not just make a taller mount? You will have to change you side panel but at least you should have no iva worries. I am going for the same straps as johnno as the trs ones were difficult to adjust. The lap belt kept riding up to my chest on both the saturn demo car and also a caterham I got for the day ( after I kicked off to ansar ali about his sales manager who didn't take me seriously although I wanted one - money well saved!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:42 PM

Won't the buckle/adjuster end up in the same place? If you move it forward, the belt is looser and needs tightening up more, thus putting the buckle/adjuster in the same place?
Old 25th July 2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
Won't the buckle/adjuster end up in the same place? If you move it forward, the belt is looser and needs tightening up more, thus putting the buckle/adjuster in the same place?
The adjuster buckle is the fixed point, between the adjuster and the lap buckle gets shorter.

For the sake of making a couple of metal straps Ill probably try it to see how it goes but I feel I will end up selling these ones and get some of the Prima ones made to my spec in the end.

Cheers
Stot
Old 25th July 2013, 10:15 PM

If I go with Primas Ill see if I can get them to make them so I can adjust them like this.

Cheers
Stot
Old 25th July 2013, 10:46 PM

Try having a look at sabelts range. The have some caterham/Westfield belts that have the adjuster right up against the buckles.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks David, the Sabaelt ones do adjust how I would need but @ £170 each.

Prima have told me they do a 'Reverse' lap fitment which is what my picture is showing. They are £107 each which is more palatable but it still irks me to have to spend that much.

Cheers
Stot
Old 26th July 2013, 09:44 AM

It may be worth giving vosa a call directly. I spoke to someone a while back and a technical bod rang me back when I had a couple of iva queries. Can't cost much to ask about your extension plate idea if its gonna save you a wadge of cash that could be spend elsewhere on your build?

Russ