Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2012, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default Almost disater!!!

I was in the garage getting something ( Building a model railway with the 7 yr old and just getting electrical stuff)

The garage has been a tip for months as I have not been in the frame of mind to do anything. Anyway, last month I did sell one of my V6's so there is a bit more space to sort that. However I had not moved the engine crane back to the end of the garage. It was just behind the back of the roadster.

As I turned to get out I stumbled and hit the badly placed ladder, which in turn had me knocking the crane over backwards.. Before I knew what was happenign it was heading for GRP!!!

It's a heavy brute and I had no time to do anything, and my hands were full.

I set down my electrical tools and headed back. The crane had landed on the rear wheel arch.

Somehow, amazingly, there seems to be no damage at all.. I will have to have another look but I thought the tub and arch may have had it given the weight of the crane.

Hopefully a run of bad news, luck and problems will end soon and my frame of mind will change.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 12th February 2012, 04:34 PM

Keep thinking positive Rob, it will all come together for you sooner or later. I've had a bit of a trial myself lately, just had so many other jobs to do that the Dragon has been left untouched for months. To the point that its starting to be "in the way" if you know what I mean. I really, really want to have a good day or two on it but there are just so many other jobs that are more important: rewiring our exhibition trailer for 12 volt operation, finishing the high level cupboards in the camper, tidying the wiring in the camper, installing a new CCTV system at work and another one at home, plastering several walls at home, redecorating the spare room and turning it into a work room, editing a music video for a local band and making DVDs of it etc, etc, etc.

Then on Friday I slipped over on a wet floor at work and bruised my left knee, hip, ribs and elbow (missed cracking my head on the 8Tonne lift by about 2mm) and followed that up on Saturday by slipping over on ice and bruising my right knee, hip and elbow.

How's work going, you got anything sorted yet?

D.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

How's work going, you got anything sorted yet?

D.
Sort of, it's all become extremely complex and a constant source of stress. And not sure how it's going to pan out... Basically I am half employed with one company, and also half self employed with one client with whom things are like a massive roller coaster. And other things are hanging on by a tread too (wife not been well and about to start 6 months half pay before zero pay, she wants to be back but they wont let her) (and many more things I could write a novel about).

I decided in December to sell my old but reliable Merc C230 (1997 with 152K no history) and get a Oil burner, despite being a 2002 Mondeo with only 91K with FSH ... It's cost more in one month in parts and repairs than I have spent in 2 years on all my other daily drivers combined. But I have done 1200 Miles in 4 weeks so it's starting to make up for it.

If you were up here I could hook you up with a CCTV installer

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 12th February 2012, 05:51 PM

kin ell ,you two should join forces and become the new laurel and hardy. I dont think if either of you fell out of a window you would fall up

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 12th February 2012, 06:04 PM

I don't need a cctv installer I just need 28 hours in every day . The.cctv kits were a good buy from Maplin, £149.99 for a four channel dvr unit with internet connection, two cameras and 500GB hdd complete with remote and usb mouse so we grabbed one for the workshop, it already has cctv but running on an ancient pc and it only des 25 fps between four cameras, ths kit does 25 fps per camera.

Hope everything works out for the best for you and yours Robin.

D.
Old 12th February 2012, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

If you need a hand getting the DVR connected to the internet then give me a shout, they are usually easy enough as long as your router at the workshop can handle "Port Forwarding" (sometimes goes by other name) and as a tip don't port forward port 80 -> 80 & 443 -> 443 if that's whats suggested in the DVR manual.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 12th February 2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
If you need a hand getting the DVR connected to the internet then give me a shout, they are usually easy enough as long as your router at the workshop can handle "Port Forwarding" (sometimes goes by other name) and as a tip don't port forward port 80 -> 80 & 443 -> 443 if that's whats suggested in the DVR manual.

TT
Thanks for that, the manual (as usual) is a poorly tranzlated piece of paper, originally Korean I think.

No 1 son is pretty good with IT so he will be first port of call but if that doesn't work I'll give you a holler.

D.
Old 12th February 2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

They are more or less all the same, the unit runs a little web server so if you connect to it you get a web page. Hopefully passworded before you get anywhere.

For extra security, I would not allow access to the webserver via the "standard method" on standard ports 80 & 443. Instead use something like 1080 and 1443..

Do you know if your internet at work has a STATIC IP? if not you will need a router capable of doing dyndns.

Lost yet

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 12th February 2012, 09:50 PM

Do you know if your internet at work has a STATIC IP? if not you will need a router capable of doing dyndns.

Errrmmm, ask me one on sport

I think its a static ip but I'll check this week.

D.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Is sport the thing that causes injuries????

if it's BT business BB then it will be static.. Many other providers will be too but most are not..

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques