Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2013, 04:32 PM

Smile Pinto mods advise please

Hi all. Sorry not posted for a while. Was working away most of last year and never really got out in the Roadster much.
This year will be different. Giving it a wee makeover and any advise would be welcome.
Changing head to big valve polished 2.0 head (I think Dogwood has a 1800 head on at present)with Kent FR32 cam kit.
Changing carb from 32/36 TO 38DGAS. Can't be bothered or afford twin Webers.
What advise would you give about this type of set up.
Would like to beef up the bottom end but will run out of cash.
Thought hard about cam choice and any advise would be great. For anyone who doesn't know this car it's running a 2.0 pinto with 1800 head at present.
Will bring Dogwoods Roadster out this spring.
Cheers,
Tony.
Old 10th February 2013, 04:52 PM

Best thing I did to my pinto was the lightened flywheel but if you up the revs be sure to fit Arp flywheel bolts

Roadster No 2 build

Cost to Date : £93

** New Blog @ http://carlsroadster2.blogspot.com **
Old 11th February 2013, 09:09 AM

You'll need more compression the quick cheap way is fit a thin gasket, in reality this only gets you to 9.7 to 1
I would want to see nearer 10.5 to 1 with that cam

Bottom end is all about the rods
Standard rods 6,800 continuous
Injection rods 7,200 with visits to 7,500 but would fit ARP rod bolts

It gets expensive and complex from there as Cosworth rods have floating gudgeon pins and are 1.5mm longer
Old 11th February 2013, 08:29 PM

I have a 38/38 carb on mine which wasn't great at first but purrs like a cat as soon as i fitted the right jets. If it helps the correct jet sizes for a 38/38 on a largely unmodified 2.0 pinto are: main jets 145, air jets 185, idle jets 45, acc pump 55, emulsion tubes F50. As both chokes open at once you dont get the kick down and roar effect of the 32/36, it just delivers smooth power throughout the rev range.
Not sure if they are all like it but mine didnt have a fuel return pipe so the return hose can just be blocked off.

As far as i can see the only thing really against running a down draft carb is having a hole in the top of the bonnet, i'm running a foam ITG air filter so don't like leaving the car uncovered when it rains for fear water could get into the carb and manifold.
Old 11th February 2013, 08:49 PM

Default Head skim

Thanks for your comments. I have ordered a thin Burton head gasket and wondered what to skim off the head. Any advise or where to get done would be great. I am in Rochester. Also the carb I have ordered is new and comes with the exact jets that you said so hopefully happy days.
Old 11th February 2013, 08:53 PM

The pinto lump is a tough little lot and the bottom end wont need anything done to it. A head ,cam and carbs would wake up any pinto. They are still a force to be reckoned with and very tuneable.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 12th February 2013, 12:31 PM

Whilst it won't increase the power I found the megajolt made the car far more driveable

Roadster No 2 build

Cost to Date : £93

** New Blog @ http://carlsroadster2.blogspot.com **
Old 14th March 2013, 06:18 PM

Default What next

OK head changed over went to fit carb. Wrong manifold!!! Had a 32 34 DTML so had to get new manifold. Done that but the old manifold had a connection point for what seems to be the advance retard from the black box connected to dizzy which by the way has no vacuum. So question is do I need to connect this tube from the small black box (sorry for the lack of technical information) back to the manifold. Also need to change the throttle linkage as is is slightly different.
Seems to run and rev OK but been unable to road test yet as no throttle linkage.
Any advise very welcome.
Cheers, Tony
Old 15th March 2013, 04:51 PM

Can you expand on the black box fitted to the dizzy - is it the standard distributor with just a single low tension lead to the coil or is it the electronic distributor that has a low tension connector and harness (and very often a protective metal can round the top) ?