Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th December 2016, 12:02 PM

Default MX5 Cooling & Rad

I'm looking at buying a Radiator over the next week or so and was looking at the options. My initial plan is to use an 190e (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122141245444?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) I believe it gives better cooling than the polo Rad. Looking at it though it has a top and bottom pipe but no small top pipe. I plan to use a polo header tank that will be T'ed into the back of the engine where the heater matrix would normally be but where would the top 'overflow', if that is actually what it is, go? I hope this all makes sense and I always open to any other options

Actual cost so far = Have chosen to stop counting incase I incriminate myself -
Cost ive told the wife = A hell of a lot less than I have spent. -
Old 10th December 2016, 01:07 PM

I used the polo header tank T'd into the heter matrix loop at the rear of the engine and a golf radiator which does not have a small pipe similar to the merc one. I put in a straight 32mm? from memory which has an 8mm take off which I connected the small pipe to. I actually used 8mm copper from the header tank with very short 8mm flexi rubber pipes to connect each end
Old 10th December 2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianr View Post
I used the polo header tank T'd into the heter matrix loop at the rear of the engine and a golf radiator which does not have a small pipe similar to the merc one. I put in a straight 32mm? from memory which has an 8mm take off which I connected the small pipe to. I actually used 8mm copper from the header tank with very short 8mm flexi rubber pipes to connect each end
So is it T'ed into the top rad pipe, that's what I was thinking but not sure if the system would function as it should.

Old 10th December 2016, 05:01 PM

Dave
If you check out this photo it shows how I did mine with the 190e rad & polo header, works fine.
https://flic.kr/p/znQChn
Old 10th December 2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropper View Post
Dave
If you check out this photo it shows how I did mine with the 190e rad & polo header, works fine.
https://flic.kr/p/znQChn
By the looks of it, your Rad has the top pipe, all that I have seen don't, or am I missing something?

Old 10th December 2016, 06:39 PM

Sorry I should have said, it is just a pipe connector that I dust tapped & epoxied into place. The plastic end caps are soft enough for the connector to make its own thread if you just drill the hole undersized & work it in slowly. Mine actually tightened ok but I put it in finally with some epoxy glue for safe measure. Hope this helps
Old 10th December 2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropper View Post
Sorry I should have said, it is just a pipe connector that I dust tapped & epoxied into place. The plastic end caps are soft enough for the connector to make its own thread if you just drill the hole undersized & work it in slowly. Mine actually tightened ok but I put it in finally with some epoxy glue for safe measure. Hope this helps
So basically you made your own pipe, sounds good to me tap and JB Weld found be the way forward.

Old 10th December 2016, 09:19 PM

The Polo rad is more than up to the job you just have to make sure your using all of the available cooling core. Some thing that often gets over looked with the rad hidden in the nose is that not all the air entering the nose passes through the cooling fins making it less efficient, the air will find the path of least resistance and go between the gap between it and the inside of the nose.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 10th December 2016, 10:08 PM

I have put deflectors in the nose to help the air decide that it should go through the radiator rather than round it!
Old 10th December 2016, 11:01 PM

If you check out the last 3 pictures you can see the radiator air deflectors in place. The left & right bolt onto the side of the radiator nicely. I also managed to use the MX5 fab on the merc rad, again this bolted on nicely, my donor had a/c so don't know if the fan is the same as the rest. Hope this helps your decision.