Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd April 2009, 09:42 AM

Default Scrap car cash back

Just heard on the box that a cash incentive is going to be given for people to trade in old cars for new. Is this gonna inflate the doner car market market or do you think its going to create a flood of older cars lying round in scrap yards that need to be got rid off. Government will probably stipulate that the scrap cars have to be taken off the road and cubed.

With this and IVA the coffins getting nailed down tight.

Oh yes and another, B-road speed limits are to be reduced to 50mph unless the local council can prove that its going to be safe to keep it at 60, how many will bother to do that. Its already been proven that speed is not a factor on most accidents on B-roads. Plus who's going to enforce this on all these B-roads.

Rant over......Pissed off with nanny state we're living in.....
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:49 AM

I have just posted this in another thread & probably here is a better place for my comments.

Personally I do not think the proposed scrappage allowance will do much to drive up the price of the Sierra donors.

The people driving the remaining Sierras are either not looking to buy a brand new car or are fanatical fans of the Sierra.

I would imagine any vehicle handed in for the scrappage allowance will have to have an MOT.
The typical Sierra donor will require a few bob spent on it to obtain one & therefore not viable to buy just to trade in.

If you spot a donor in the meanwhile & have the space for it. Grab it quick.

__________________________________________________ _____

On the subject of scrappage allowance.

I don't think it will ever be passed on to the consumer as a real life saving.

Why ??

Most main dealers have reduced prices in order to sell new cars. In some cases several thousand pounds off RRP.

If & when scrappage allowance is introduced, you can can expect to pay the full RRP for your new car.

The consumer will save diddly squat, they'll just have the illusion that they have saved some money. !!??

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:50 AM

well i,m glad i got my donor sooner rather than later, but if this goverment think that the public are gonna trade in their older car for a new one then they,re more blind to the average person than i thought, i mean who is gonna get more debt (for new car) in this current climate??
just another way for the so called leaders of this nation to come up with something new to "play with", they can,t work the current rules/laws/ ways of life routines but yet they come up with more red tape cr@p.
this country is going backwards in my opinion.
the "bird" springs to mind.
rant over

andy
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:52 AM

Beat you to it

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1807

Remember speed kills - I once did 160mph and survived, how does that work? Seriously the obsession with speed is ridiculous - most accidents that are speed related are due to 'inappropriate' use of speed. A great example recently near me was where a group of 'yoofs' crashed their care at over 100 in a 60. What did the council do - put a 50 limit on the road - i'm sure that would have stopped the accident. Personally though I don't think people help themselves. A lot of 30s and 40s are actually there for a good reason, yet people go through them well above the limit. I must drive people mad as I will 'hoon' between the villages, slow down and stick to the limit through the village, whereupon the trailing cars will normally catch up as they speed through the village. Get to the otherside and gas it away into the distance again.

Of course, if speed does kill, perhaps we should just ban the car!

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Anyone got a donor going spare and what sort of prices are people paying for at the moment. I'm looking for a tax and tested example as I will need to drive it home. South Wales/west area preferred but will consider anywhere in the uk - it's a good excuse for a road trip!

Last edited by davidimurray : 22nd April 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimurray View Post

P.S. Anyone got a donor going spare and what sort of prices are people paying for at the moment. I'm looking for a tax and tested example as I will need to drive it home. South Wales/west area preferred but will consider anywhere in the uk - it's a good excuse for a road trip!
Hi Dave

There are quite a few potential donors on ebay at the moment.
It may pay to watch a few, it'll give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:31 AM

just bought mine at weekend, 1.8cvh estate, 1989, tax & test (a month left)
£150 paid, had £20 of fuel in it, full service history stamped up with 1 owner,
i,m a happy chappy, tho did have to travel 200 miles to get it, but drove it back so was good to know everything works as it should, apart from the radio ???
cheers
andy
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:06 AM

Hey Guys

HandyAndy - good deal you got there, any more hidden away?I'm guessing you managed to get away from the radio beign a deal breaker and sung to yourself all the way home.

I've been watching a few cars on ebay recently and my gut feel is that somewhere around the £300 mark is realistic. Annoyingly I can't bid on any yet as I'm still working away until the middle of May - then the hunt can start in earnest. On the bright side though, I am heading home for the weekend and just happen to be popping in via Armoto to pick up my chassis kit on the way home Even better when it is in company time and with my company car - every cloud has a silver lining
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:33 AM
fabbyglass

I wonder if that applies to buying a "new kit car"....dealer sells a car you get 2 grand for the donor and dealer says "ohhh yeah it's been recycled" so both happy
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:42 AM

That's almost cunning Fabby!
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:44 AM

Davidimurry, where abouts are you. I'm from Porthcawl although living in England at the moment.