Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th June 2014, 09:38 PM

Default hi and progress so far

So after building a locost and then losing it when I got divorced here we go with round 2 !! with encouragement from my new missus who is dead keen on the whole idea I decided to go down the mx5 route.
incidentally not that my missus is a petrolhead but she had a mustang when we met stateside where I managed to get my first speeding fine , red mustang doing 90 on the interstate and £180 for the pleasure, enjoy the usa sir !!
anyway now we are back in sunny lossiemouth, Scotland and have got my chassis onto 4 wheels and am waiting for the engine to arrive from way down south
here is a pic of progress so far

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/attac...d=140389774 7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140621_175015.jpg (77.5 KB, 209 views)
Old 28th June 2014, 12:21 AM

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see yet another mx5 builder. If you have any questions please ask.

I'm guessing your in the raf with your location

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:36 AM

hi David many thanks , no im not RAF I am a cooper and I make whisky barrels for a living for my sins. Had many bikes over the years, an mgb, tvr 3000m, xr4x4 then had to be sensible and didn't like it so here we are doing what we enjoy .
thanks again for the welcome gary
Old 28th June 2014, 09:37 AM

Looking good, what engine are you going for? The Mazda one or something a bit more exotic / ridiculous?
Old 28th June 2014, 09:12 PM

yes just the plain old mazda this time, not even close to finishing, and already the missus has said what SHE wants in hers
So let her pick the colour and I'll teach her how to drive it on the proper side of the road and then.....
Old 29th June 2014, 02:10 AM

Welcome Gary the cooper....was'nt he a film star looking forward to watching another haynes take shape.
Old 24th July 2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
So after building a locost and then losing it when I got divorced here we go with round 2 !! with encouragement from my new missus who is dead keen on the whole idea I decided to go down the mx5 route.
incidentally not that my missus is a petrolhead but she had a mustang when we met stateside where I managed to get my first speeding fine , red mustang doing 90 on the interstate and £180 for the pleasure, enjoy the usa sir !!
anyway now we are back in sunny lossiemouth, Scotland and have got my chassis onto 4 wheels and am waiting for the engine to arrive from way down south
here is a pic of progress so far

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/attac...d=140389774 7
Great to see soemone "almost" local to me building. I'm based up in the far north, I haven't started yet but have read The Book many times. Got a massive list of house realated jobs to do before the missus will sign my work permit haha.

Looking forward to watching this one progress.
Old 24th July 2014, 10:23 PM

thanks, how far up north are you ? Keep the faith good things come to those who wait, just make sure a nice heated workshop is on your house jobs to do list, "makes it easier to service your car dear" seems like a reasonable ploy
Old 28th July 2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
thanks, how far up north are you ? Keep the faith good things come to those who wait, just make sure a nice heated workshop is on your house jobs to do list, "makes it easier to service your car dear" seems like a reasonable ploy
Gary, I'm up in Caithness so local(ish) haha, the workshop is already covered so I'm all good there, just need to get past the windows/doors/decorating/etc then I'm good to go. Maybe get a start this winter, then again she will probably find something else for me to do
Old 9th August 2014, 05:25 PM

well started to do the fuel/ brake lines this weekend got up this morning to have the police knocking at the door some t##t hit my volvo last night and ripped the n/s wheel half off moving the car 3 ft back into a bollard....
bonus was an off duty officer witnessed the whole thing at 3am, so instead of getting on, spent the day dealing with police and insurance waiting for them all to get their act together despite its the weekend sir.
sorry for the rant