Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2010, 09:48 PM

Been tinkering with the front bones during quiet moments over the last couple of days. As mine is not strictly a Haynes Roadster there is some room for "adjustment" in the design. Anyway I have the front top wishbones made and this afternoon I have started to set out the lower bones and plate. proving to be quite fun and its resurrecting some of the tech I learned in college 30 odd years ago. I still have all my old text books and "fundamentals of motor vehicle technology" is still a good read . Between that one and the Haynes manual I'm hoping it will all work out ok in the end

D.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:44 PM

Gas cut the lower front wishbone plates this afternoon then tidied them up with the 9" angry grinder. all marked out for drilling to take the ball joints. hopefully I will take them down to my mate tomorrow afternoon to get the 10 degree end put in (he has a 100 tonne press ) then I can get them welded up and once I've got the uprights reamed out I will be about two steps shy of a rolling chassis .

D.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:03 PM

Quick update: I've roughed out the lower front bones including fitting the Maxi ball joints, I need to cut the tubes to mate up with the bush tubes and then fully weld them. I seem to have a slight problem with the rear uprights, I think I've made them both the same hand so the drivers side is out of alignment bugger it! Still that can be fixed with a bit of gas axe and welder .

I'm now on an enforced "weekend off" because SWMBO says I've been doin' too much so tomorrow morning its a lie in, followed by breakfast while watching the GP qualifying then we're going to the garden centre for some seeds and stuff so I can spend the afternoon in the greenhouse starting my tomatoes and chitting my potatoes .

Sunday is going to be another slow start with brekkie provided followed by watching the GP, then a gentle walk to the local hostelry with No1 daughter for a couple of hours before coming back home to a proper sunday lunch, then an evening in front of the box with a bottle of wine at hand.

Its a tough life but someone's got to live it .

Even better, there's a six nations match on telly tomorrow afternoon!

Doncha just love life? D.

Last edited by Davey : 12th March 2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: addition
Old 21st March 2010, 07:45 PM

Another brief update: over the last week or so I've been tinkering with the front suspension setup. Yesterday afternoon and this morning I've spent a few hours getting it all welded up and I'm close to a rolling chassis . Just need to hook up the steering and fit some dummy struts to the front then I can at least wheel the Dragon around. I had a trial fit of the Locust nosecone this afternoon and its about 2.5" too narrow at the front of the chassis so it shouldn't be too big a problem to stretch it a bit .

Anyway here's a couple of pics to show the latest achievements with No1 daughter at the wheel .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolling1small.jpg (56.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg rolling2small.jpg (51.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg rolling3small.jpg (65.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg rolling4small.jpg (57.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 21st March 2010, 08:09 PM

well done Davey, looking good mate

That engine looks a beast bet you can,t wait to fire it up

be careful tho, looks like No 1 daughter has her eye on your car, she,ll be asking "Daaaaaaaad can i borrow the Dragon"?

cheers
andy
Old 21st March 2010, 08:21 PM

wow great work. Andy is right that engine is massive!
Old 21st March 2010, 08:27 PM

Ha Ha, well officially No1 daughter and No1 son are part of the build team, they did a good job of stripping the original heap of sh!t down to a bare chassis but have not featured much in the rebuild. Not entirely their fault as its all sort of happening out of the book via my head ( if that makes any sense) so there has been very little they could do.

As far as "Dad, can I borrow the Dragon?" goes its a definite "HELL NO!" They can come out and play with it when I'm there but that's it! No1 daughter is only just learning to drive anyway so I think it'll be a while before she gets behind the wheel of a running, living, breathing Dragon .

I am very pleased with progress so far but you're absolutely right, I just wanna hear that motor ROAR!!!!

D.
Old 21st March 2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
wow great work. Andy is right that engine is massive!
Cheers Dude, it is a tad on the large side, just like moi .

D.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
Andy is right that engine is massive!
Got two of them

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 6th April 2010, 08:04 AM

Hi guys, I've been a bit tardy with updating my build site but the story to date is generally that I've got to rolling chassis stage and even have the steering connected (sort of). I bodged some temporary struts up so I can n ow roll it around the shop. I weighed the beast with flywheel, calipers and diff all sitting on top and it currently weighs a mahoosive 535KGs but the front rear split is about 60/40 at the moment, still got the rear end to frame up and mount the fuel tank, seats etc so I might just make it in under the 750KG mark. even though that is a bit heavy compared to a proper Haynes, or any other se7en type for that matter, it should still be pretty quick and fun.

Sadly now that our outdoor exhibition season is starting I've had to put the Dragon back into the corner as I have a trailer to build, and loads of work to do on our camper in time for our first show at Peterborough the week before stoneleigh. In total we have ten weekends out in the camper before September, six for motorhome shows and a few other events like stoneleigh and Goodwood FoS in July. I intend to try to get one day per month on the Dragon but finance is also an issue at the moment.

I must make time to update the build site.

D.