Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2012, 08:37 PM

Wink NTS MX5 Build

Hi Nathan,
Any chance of a few piccy's of your progress for the MX5 build codenamed "Bumble Bee" or will you be keeping it under wraps untill it's finished?

ps... How's Spud doing, haven't seen any posts lately from him..
Johno
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:52 AM

Iv just got the cage to finish and interior panels before the final fitment of the bodywork and finishing off, i was hoping to get it lokking pretty before i put some photos up but il put some up on photobucket tonight for ya,

ps johno can you pm me the address to send the crush tubes, lost it lol
Old 24th March 2012, 08:04 PM

Sorry for the delay, iv been trying to catch up this week. Its been a bit bitter sweet the last couple of weeks regarding the mx5 build. A couple of weekends ago id sorted out the wiring loom and got all the fluids bled so i decided it was time for a proper run down round the industrial estate to find any proplems before i started putting the bodywork on. So, as one does I spent a good hour and a half checking bolts, tiying back any loose wiring/tubing etc. I popped the battery in the passenger footwell, turned the key and started driving slowly around the industrial estate in first and second. I went back to the unit and gave it a once over, everything looked dandy so i decided to give it the beans down the road. Going from first to second at speed there was an almighty bang, and i was hit by something hard from behind. The prop was laid on the floor and the diff was snapped in two. Like a complete knob i had forgotten to put the spreader plates under the diff bushes so the diff was hanging by just its rubbers. The torque was too much for it and it gave way, snapping the rear casing in half and wrecking the UJ in the prop in the process. I pushed it back for what what seemed to be a lifetime, with an almighty bruise on my arse from the diff twating me!

The good news was that there was no damage at all to the chasiss, so theres no problems there. David bowlam was very kind to let me have a replacement, but as it was a 1.6 diff it has different pcd shaft flanges and it was open, i really wanted to keep the torson lsd so a quick call to mx5 city got me a free new casing (providing i show their stickers on the car in the mag features!)

The diff is now back in the car with its new casing. I have also fitted a pair of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX-5...item3f125b3c0a

and made some 8mm spreader plates to go underneath.

So, whatever you do, dont hang the diff without the original plate with the castlated bush or polybushes and a substansial spreader or this will happen!

I cant thank mx5 city enough, there a real good bunch of blokes who really know their mx5s, and they'll sell you anything from a nut to a full donor!
Old 24th March 2012, 08:05 PM

Anyway the diffs back in place now, im just finishing tidying up the wiring and hoses, then its onto the interior panels and rollcage followed by the bodywork which is all trimmed ready for fitting. I just cant seem to find the time at the moment, but theres a trackday looming on the 10th of april and im determined to make it. I may have to piss the missus off and put in some overnighters!

couple of sneaky pics from the old brick...

made up some sexy looking headlight brackets for the 5 inchers tonight...

Old 24th March 2012, 08:16 PM

Glad I'm using 1.6mm steel for the seat back. Just in case!! Looks great. good to see it moving along.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:43 PM

Love the light bracket.

Skyline Roadster
Old 26th March 2012, 10:04 AM

Toblerones needed methinks as in triangles
Old 26th March 2012, 09:03 PM

Hi Nathan,
I bet that was a scary moment...
When we bolted our diff in we decided to use the diff washers mounted to a bracket welded to the underside of the diff plate.

The problem is my diff washers are badly corroded and I am looking to buy some second hand ones as I can't source new ones (unless somebody knows where).
The question I now ask is are these the only areas to look at? On the MX5 they have a substantial frame bolting the diff to the gearbox, I personally am now looking at my diffs rubber mount as well and will probably beef this up. Also I am going to insert a pressed plate between the two diff mounts taking out any twist between the two mounting points.

Probably overkill I know but looking at your photo makes me shudder...

You said you had no other damage to your chassis so was the diff rubber mount ok?
You also mention a spreader plate but not sure what you mean by this, so any photos or diagrams would help.

Sorry to hear about the setback ...Johno
Old 27th March 2012, 08:48 AM

Triangulation is stronger and a better bet than just adding even more heavy gauge plate because heavy cars hit things harder......light 'n triangulated is the way to go

Last edited by MarkB : 27th March 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:23 AM

Take a look at the rear of any of the cars Jeremy Philips has designed and you will see much goodness and a distinct lack of girders.