Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2010, 08:14 PM

Default New member

Hi all

Just purchased the bible today, I intend to build a roadster using the Cologne v6 and running gear by the sounds of it that can be done quite simply? can any one that has used this setup let me know how it went.

About myself: I'm 21 and a mechanic, I am a member of Knutsford and district motor club and take part in Scatter rallys Autosolos and Auto test (hope to build the roadster for use on competitions.

My founds are limited but i plan to spread the cost out how much does an average build cost people?

I will thank you all now for putting up with my questions

Mark
Old 30th January 2010, 08:39 PM

Welcome to the forum Mark, I'm not actually building a roadster by the book but I'm rebuilding a similar sort of car and using the Cosworth V6. There are a couple of members using Cologne lumps and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to welcome you and will be happy to help you.

Cheers, D.
Old 30th January 2010, 08:42 PM

Welcome! You'll soon learn this forum is a great place for all of the little problems and it's a good motivational booster when you see someone else's car.

My build is looking to cost about £3500-£4000, but that includes the purchasing of tools, the tool count so far is up to £500, with that i've bought a mig welder, pillar drill, socket set, vice, cutting and flap discs, drill bits, axle stands and trolley jack as well as a lot more (I didn't have many tools to start with, but that soon changed )

HandyAndy is looking to get his car on the road for £3000. It also depends on how many bling bits you decide to go for and how many bargains you manage to pick up.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 30th January 2010, 08:44 PM

Hello Mark,

Welcome, In answer to your cost question I plan to come in well under £4K but there are some (HandyAndy) who will be under that.

Having spoke with a few forum members it seems individuals like to lavish a little extra on different parts. Some spend it on the engine others on pre-built components. I myself might go a little over the top on the instrumentation.

Have you ordered any steel yet?

Good luck Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 10:50 AM

I have not yet ordered any steel, I have seen on ebay pre cut sections for £250, I know of a steel merchants so i shall have to try them.

My first purchase is going to be a mig welder. i need to do some welding on the day to day car first, so i'm searching ebay looking for one to pop up, im thinking of trying to get this one http://www.toolsbypost.com/product_p...ry=1314&id=246 or something simular, will that be appropriate.

Mark
Old 31st January 2010, 11:21 AM

Welcome to the mad house, if you need any help at all don't be affraid to ask.

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 31st January 2010, 11:33 AM

Mark I would stay away from SIP mig welders, i've read far too many posts of people having bad experiences with them, they are no longer built like they used to be.

People recommend Clarke mig welders to start with as they are cheap and are good quality for a budget hobby welder. I personally have a Clarke 150EN, which I managed to pick up for £85, it just needed a few new bits for it (a new gas valve and swan neck), gas regulator and then the consumables on top of that.

If you pop over to the mig welding forum (Link).

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 31st January 2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeastman View Post
I have seen on ebay pre cut sections for £250,
Mark
that be me then

Welcome to the forum Mark,
The forum is a very friendly place indeed, don,t worry about "all your questions" no matter what questions you have regarding a Roadster build there will always be friendly & helpful advice given by the members of this forum.

May i suggest you put your approx location on your profile as there may well be a builder close to you that i,m sure would welcome you to see their build or maybe even a completed Roadster.

Good luck with your build, ( have you put the "bible" down yet?)

cheers
andy
Old 1st February 2010, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the advice on the MIG welder I shall stay well clear Tatey. I'm from Sunny Stockport, if anyone is local it would be nice to be able to see a build to get any ideas. I also have the problem that im 6 ft 6 tall so im hoping i will fit in, how much leg room is there. would it be a good idea for me to extend the chassis a little or is that not needed.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:21 AM

I myself am 6'6" talk and i fit like a glove in Spud69's car, so you'll have no worries there. It's also quite good for the 'larger' man as well.