Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th January 2014, 06:32 PM

Been jumping around on various parts this week due to the cold. Tried to do stuff that I could bring inside and work on.

- Finished the mounting and welding the exhaust...although I'm going to have to add a resonator or another muffler. Its pretty friggin loud.
- Wrapped the header in DEI Titanium header wrap. I think it turned out really nice and did a great job of hiding my terrible looking header welds.
- Installed gauges and the AIM MXL Dash. I ended up going with the MXL Strada as it was $1000 cheaper without the data logging, and since I was using a megasquirt I could grab all the sensor data from the can bus on the megasquirt. So no need for extra sensors. As for my physical gauges, they are auto meter carbons, and I'm using fuel level, oil pressure and boost. Boost is probably not necessary with the supercharger, but between those 3 and the digital dash, I can cover just about everything.
- Vinyl wrapped the scuttle, I'm going with an metallic anthracite colored car, with a gold racing stripe. Vinyl showed up this week, so I decided to give the scuttle a go since it was the hardest part.

Pics:

Old 26th January 2014, 06:40 PM

That Anthracite grey looks great, you going for a stealth roadster?
Also a very nice looking dash, blends nicely with the scuttle.

Got a video of the engine running with the new exhaust in place?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 26th January 2014, 08:17 PM

If you think the scuttle is hard wait til you try the nosecone
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:38 PM

Wrapped up most of the engine, exhaust and intake. Or at least enough to rev it a few times. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/g3pdb6p3J54
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:52 PM

DEMONIC
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:04 PM

Thumbs up

What can I say it sounds the TITS!!! And a very tidy build fella

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 5th February 2014, 03:57 PM

Here's a shot of the completed engine. As far as I can think, there is nothing left that need to be done on the mechanical side of things.

So I moved on and started putting together the roll bar from kinetic. While I will probably never race it, I will be tracking it so I went ahead and gave myself a bit over 2" from top of the bar to the top of my helmet. So this should comply with the majority of rules out there.

Old 10th February 2014, 03:55 AM

Heres the final roll bar configuration. The lower stays are 2 brackets with 1/2" bolts run through the tubing.

Old 10th February 2014, 07:45 AM

Cracking job ! You must be really pleased with your car. I bet your car is costing a fair few thousand to build isn't it ? I think what you paid for your supercharger, Is my budget for the entire build misses has told me a grand tops, I said of course babe no problem. In true bloke style we are marching on to the mighty 2k ! Lol it will be our little secret.
Old 10th February 2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 82 View Post
Cracking job ! You must be really pleased with your car. I bet your car is costing a fair few thousand to build isn't it ? I think what you paid for your supercharger, Is my budget for the entire build misses has told me a grand tops, I said of course babe no problem. In true bloke style we are marching on to the mighty 2k ! Lol it will be our little secret.
Yeah I kinda stopped keeping track after buying the supercharger. I believe I told my wife $5000 US when I pitched the idea to her. I think I'm now closer to $8000... not including tools and welding equipment. For the most part now I'm done with major purchases. I need a aeroscreen and switches for the lighting. My bigger problem wasn't really the cost, as much as it was the time frame. I was expecting this to take closer to 2 years to finish thus spreading the cost over a longer period, I am on track to finish in the next 2 months which is 12 months total. Anyway, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and since we really have no formal inspection I really look forward to the coming months. Should be able to test drive it this week and then move on to skinning the body.