Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th July 2013, 10:40 AM

Default Steering shaft length

I'm going to get MK sportcars to make up my steering link as its one of the key parts I want ot know is 100%.
They do them for a very reasonable £40 but I wanted to check the length end to end, I've read IVA man likes to see there is enough room for the collapseible bits to work in teh main column.
Have you got any pictures of dimensions for the link and how far the upper column should stick out into the engine bay to allow the collapse mechanism to work right?
Thanks

Mike
Old 13th July 2013, 12:50 PM

Hi Mike,
I don't really understand how the collapsible part can work better with a room between upper UJ on the extended part of the column and CP16 (if it is what you mean IVA thinks). But perhaps I misunderstood you. Sorry if I did.

Anyway, you don't have a lot of room to gain on the triangular shaft sticking out in the engine bay.

I looks like you can chose its length when the steering wheel is not bolted, because the triangular shaft slides into main part of the column. But when you install the steering wheel and tighten the central nut, the triangular part goes up into the main part of the column, and when the nut is locked, it can't move any more.

I also figured out that the length of this triangular part also depends on which model of Sierra steering column you use. I have 2 Sierra steering columns with me, and the one which is not adjustable in height (earliest models I think) is a bit longer that the one which is adjustable (latest models I think). I don't know why. I am using the adjustable one (shortest) and I couldn't have fit the extended column much lower, the part sticking out is too short, and long enough to fit into the upper UJ, but not much more. This is how it looks on my car:

2013-05-05_11-12-46.JPG

So, when it comes to the overall length of the extended part of the column, I would say to take the measurement from the lowest end of the splined part of the steering rack, to the bearing you use on CP16. Remove a couple of mm (5, 10 max I think) to leave a gap between the upper UJ and the bearing, and you should be very close to the length you need. This is the gap I have on my car, I would say it is about 5mm:

2013-06-02_17-03-14.JPG

I could have put it 5mm lower perhaps, but not more.

Hope that will help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.JPG (73.7 KB, 13 views)