Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th September 2013, 04:32 PM

Default Will a 2l Zetec engine fit mx5 donor ?

Help me please ! I have bought an mx5 donor for my roadster, however, after the iva I would like to fit a brand new 2l Zetec engine. I know I should have bought a sierra, but I found an mx5 1.8 mk1 accident damaged for good money. The chassis is almost built, so I was wondering if anybody does a bell housing adaptor to fit my mx5 gearbox ? I know that some ford & mazda bits are interchangeable, but I am not sure. I have not heard of this being done before, but I think the Zetec would match that sweet little gearbox beutifully. Mazda really know how to build a gearbox ! Oh, supercharging is out of the option as it is too bloody expensive. It's Zetec preferably, or stick to my 1.8. Any help greatly appreciated !
Old 18th September 2013, 06:17 PM

I know of 2 non-stock engines that have been fitted to the MX-5 gearbox.

They're both Mazda engines (the KLDE/KLZE and the 13B/Renesis rotary). The KLDE can be fitted to a MX5 box with an adapter from Claire at crapengineering. The 13B uses the RX-7 or RX-8 bellhousing.

Besides, there's 2 Ford options for a RWD gearbox for the Zetec. There would be no demand for a production run of bellhousings to fit RWD boxes from other manufacturers.

The Ford and Mazda interchangability you're thinking of is the Duratec and the mark 3 MX-5 - the mark 3 box should fit onto the Duratec.

Could always get a type 9/MT75 and a Zetec and fit it with the Mazda running gear, but that would be a waste of time IMO (unless you were going into a race series with an 1800cc class limit).
Old 18th September 2013, 08:31 PM

I would stay with the MX-5 engine if I were you, but if you really want to switch to a Zetec, I think the easiest way is to get a Type 9 gearbox, too, and have a custom propshaft made.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:08 PM

Thank you both for your help chaps