Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st August 2013, 10:19 PM

Default Silencer dimensions?

I will be needing a silencer soon, what dimensions are recommended? I'm running a 2.0L Silvertop Zetec. Anywhere you would recommend to buy from?

Thanks
Josh
Old 30th August 2013, 09:14 PM

No one got an opinion on this? I'm looking at around 170bhp, 180 tops. Where have you all sourced your silencers from?
Old 30th August 2013, 10:56 PM

I got mine from doing a search on ebay "kit car exhaust"
Old 30th August 2013, 11:05 PM

Default silencer

here you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Robin-hood...em33 84e4c173
Old 30th August 2013, 11:10 PM

Was there really a need for that Kev?

I want to make sure I'm spending my money on the right silencer for my engine/horsepower levels. This is something I have no experiance of. Just searching "kit car exhaust" on ebay as you suggest is not very helpful (and you know it) so why bother replying? According to the average age thread you are 51 - maybe you should try acting like it.

What has happened to this forum guys? When I started my build this place was full of friendly helpful people. Now when I come on here it's full of people getting involved in pety word slinging matches over the internet.

This is supposed to be a place where like minded people can share ideas and swap information.

Sorry for bothering you all with my questions
Old 30th August 2013, 11:24 PM

What are you on about ?......that is exactly how I got my silencer ....if this is your attitude bud you wont last long on here and pardon me but I wont bother to help you anymore
And by the way this is my first home build with lots of ideas I tried with not knowing how to do stuff so I asked on here

Last edited by K4KEV : 30th August 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 31st August 2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Was there really a need for that Kev?

I want to make sure I'm spending my money on the right silencer for my engine/horsepower levels. This is something I have no experiance of. Just searching "kit car exhaust" on ebay as you suggest is not very helpful (and you know it) so why bother replying? According to the average age thread you are 51 - maybe you should try acting like it.

What has happened to this forum guys? When I started my build this place was full of friendly helpful people. Now when I come on here it's full of people getting involved in pety word slinging matches over the internet.

This is supposed to be a place where like minded people can share ideas and swap information.

Sorry for bothering you all with my questions
Thats not a very nice reply

Fact is there is no good answer to your question all depends on your manifold how it exits the car and how the silencer is made

Kev's car is far more powerful than your average roadster so if his exhaust is good enough to do the job on his you wont be going far wrong and your suggest you buy the same one

Maybe plum for a repackable silencer that way you can fine tune it to suit if you dont meet track day limits then drill some holes in a bean tin and hose clip it to the end
Old 31st August 2013, 08:12 AM

Christ, that was a bit of an overeaction Josh.
I've been on here for nearly three years and can't remember Kev being anything other than helpful, and I'm sure he was trying to be helpful here even if it wasn't the answer you wanted.
Searching ebay for kitcar/bike exhausts is probably how 99% of us chose an exhaust...
Old 31st August 2013, 08:38 AM

Kevin is a top man Josh ! I suggest you learn how to talk to people mate ! right then, kit spares do one which is built for the 200 bhp range, it's a beutiful piece of kit, slightly more than most silencers, as it comes with an integrated cat ! All hidden under the silencer skin. I haven't got their telephone number to hand, but a quick blast on the web will sort you out. Ask for Rich, he is shit hot & a nice man to boot, just like our Kev. So be nice, & you will get an amazing piece of kit !
Old 31st August 2013, 09:54 AM

I also purchased mine on ebay.

Searched for
locost exhaust
caterham exhaust
westfield exhaust
robin exhaust

I ended up with a Caterham silencer which is a long beastie, 2" pipework which should be good up to 180-190hp.

If I were to turbo the little 1.6 MX5 engine I would only aim for around 175 anyway so I should be good.

Cheers
Stot