Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st July 2009, 05:52 PM

Looking good. I would however consider rounding the edges of the mounts, as per the book. You might get away with it on wishbones, but the Shock mounts would jam for sure.
Old 31st July 2009, 06:32 PM

I rounded the edges on one of them, but it tok me ages to do one of them, so me being typical, i just left it and put the brackets on .
Old 31st July 2009, 06:55 PM

I used a bench sander to round the edges off my mounts. Took, maybe, 10 seconds each side.
Old 31st July 2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
I used a bench sander to round the edges off my mounts. Took, maybe, 10 seconds each side.
Easier off the chassis, though, I expect?
Old 1st August 2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I rounded the edges on one of them, but it tok me ages to do one of them, so me being typical, i just left it and put the brackets on .
Im sure we have all been there when you just wanna get on with it and the the thought of grinding/filing all those radius"s seems like it would take forever!

But best to do it properly first time because you will only cause yourself more work later
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:50 PM

UHHH!! today has been really frustrating. I waited till about 1 for the ups package with all the wishbone bosses and plates. I managed to finish all the rear wishbones and the lower front ones, then as i was cutting the cds tubing to make the last 2 wishbones, my evo rage 3 saw seemed to swing up taking the cds tubing with it and shooting it into the garage wall making a gaping dent in the wall. Im glad it didnt hit me. It also put teeth marks all the way along the cds tubing digging in to thetubing about 1mm at most so now i need to buy about 300mm more tubing, but am not sure if i should still use this piece as i didnt buy any excess tubing to make my wishbones.

I called tesco direct(where i bought my saw) and they said theyll send me a new saw on wednesday and collect the old one as it no longer goes down properly to cut. I think the large spring holding the saw in place from coming down has moved itself slightly not allowing me to cut. Tomorrow is sierra butchering day and im expecting everything from 3ge components to come and the ball joints and other bits to get the car rolling. ill hopefully weld on the last few bits on wednesday and finish off the wishbones then, and hopefully spend thursday putting it all together to get it on wheels.
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
my evo rage 3 saw seemed to swing up taking the cds tubing with it and shooting it into the garage wall making a gaping dent in the wall. Im glad it didnt hit me. It also put teeth marks all the way along the cds tubing digging in to thetubing about 1mm at most so now i need to buy about 300mm more tubing, but am not sure if i should still use this piece as i didnt buy any excess tubing to make my wishbones.
I gave up with my Rage saw, have now replaced it with a metal cutting bandsaw, wish I got one in the first place.
Old 3rd August 2009, 05:17 PM

tbh, i purchased a metal cutting blade for mine and it was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the blade supplied with the saw. i mean it is amazing , it cuts so much faster and neater than any other saw ive seen/used, and the metal cutting blade really makes it really good. i mean eveery cut has been perfect with this blade. However this one episode today was abit of a downer, but im getting a replacement saw so hopefully all is good, but i could have finished the wishbone today if it hadnt broken .
Old 5th August 2009, 05:25 PM

Well yesterday the sierra was taken apart, however i dont have enough room in the garage to store bits, so its all lying on the driveway under some blue tarp. Ive been busy today taking apart the front and rear subframes. Yesterday i also got my deliver froim 3ge components with the rear uprights and other bits. I also got a new rage 3 saw delivered after my old one broke. I also have a set of ball joints for the front end, and have put in the suspension bushes in my complete wishbones. I also pu together the rear end and put the rear uprights on. I hope to have the steering and front hubs fitted tomorrow.

I also wondered, i have rear drum brakes, and i cant figure out how to seperate the 2 drums as there is the handbrake cable(i think) joining them together which i cant get apart.

Also what is the size of the rear hub nut on the drum as ill go to halfords tomorrow and buy the correct socket.

All seems to be going well, apart from when i wash my hands it stings like crazy as i have soooo many cuuts on them now, about 2 or 3 on each finger.
Old 5th August 2009, 06:06 PM

Default socket

41 mm socket for the rear hub nuts