Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th August 2009, 08:37 PM

my late dads arc welding was way better than my mig welding reason been he had the full bag of mashings class A sigma 9 lloyds he used to weld valves for nuclear plants . he would never touch a mig set only gas or arc some times i wish he was still here i learnt more with him than the lectures at tec lol my instructer at tec was tourte by my dad small world isnt it.
thwang
Old 14th August 2009, 11:21 PM

Default opinions on welds

I am not going to say any more after this post on this subject,my motive was simply to help people become better welders and in particular help those who were on a budget use an old well proven way to build there chassis quickly ,strongly and cheaply.

I recommend Richard Finch's book,learn about the science of MIG welding(the fastest and least accurate form of welding) and go to your local BOC/Lincoln shop or whoever you have over there for some up to date advice.Their staff are well trained and helpful,and if you have a good knowledge of your equipment and how it works they will help you reach the next level.

No need for anyone to be offended with this comment,I seek advice from BOC myself,after all someone called me a"cretin" and I am not offended by that,thought it was rather funny actually!David
Old 14th August 2009, 11:22 PM

I'd like to put forth some ideas in defence of ACE HIGH's quote. There's a common meme that mastery of any complex subject (computer programming, lawn tennis, playing a violin, anything), takes in the order of 10000 hours. That's 5 years at 40 hours a week, with no holidays or distractions. I would be very surprised if anyone on this forum has spent this amount of time welding. At 5 m/min, it sums up to 47 tons of 0.8 wire, over three thousand 15 kg rolls!

Everyone would agree that the MIG/MAG process is the easiest to get started with, and probably easiest to get reasonably competent, but who knows about mastery, other than people who have become masters of different welding processes?
Old 14th August 2009, 11:45 PM

i'm not knocking stick i love using 5mm's on 50mm plate but i still thing mig works better on thin sh*t i do also agree with you that low hi's are a great rod