Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd May 2009, 11:11 AM

Well i've just ordered 6m of 25x25 16 gauge square hollow section. It came to a grand total of £22 Im hoping that its going to be the ERW stuff so that i know that that what im welding is the same stuff that the chassis is made of, i think i'll have a practise with it first and then make myself a welding trolley for my arc welder, mask and rods.

WH Smith have finally posted my build guide and i should have it in the next few days.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

at that price your better off buying the steel precut from armoto. p.s motor world sell the book for £15 rather than the rrp of £18
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:27 PM

Yeah im going to see if HandyAndy's supplier will deliver to me, if not i could get it delivered to him and drive down and collect it if he's alright with that.

I've had a go arc welding the tube, it doesnt seem too hard, with a bit of practice i recon i could have it cracked.

I managed to get the book for £11.51 from WH Smith, its also £12.50 on amazon with free delivery.
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:44 PM
fabbyglass

If you are new to stick welding try and do as many welds on the flat rather than vertical as that's where it gets tricky
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
If you are new to stick welding try and do as many welds on the flat rather than vertical as that's where it gets tricky
A nice spell of overhead welding with the stick is great fun

That is why I sport a Friar Tuck hair cut

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:11 PM
fabbyglass

Pipe welding on site where you can't turn the pipe or get at it very well oh and it's ideal if the fuel oil running thru it stays in it afterwards...blowing a gale and chucking it down with rain just to make it interesting
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:22 PM

I once had to cut out the cargo pumping lines from a ship that was used to transport molasses.

We used gas axes. Boy did those pipes spit & fart

I got my wormate a beauty.

He was bending over the cut end of a pipe, removing some brackets. When I cut through the pipeworwk further downline, the resulting flash got him right up the Jacksy

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:35 PM

I've done a little bit before using some 6mm flat bar which was easy peasy. I've just learned why you shouldnt weld near flamable object though, 1 ruined car sponge later lol.

Although i have another issue now. My dad says there wont be enough space to have both the car and the crap he's put in there as i just have a single garage. Would someone be able to give me the dimensions of the completed car so i can try and prove him wrong?
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
Yeah im going to see if HandyAndy's supplier will deliver to me, if not i could get it delivered to him and drive down and collect it if he's alright with that.

I've had a go arc welding the tube, it doesnt seem too hard, with a bit of practice i recon i could have it cracked.

I managed to get the book for £11.51 from WH Smith, its also £12.50 on amazon with free delivery.
Hi, just spoke to my steel supplier who said he can,t deliver to your area but you would be welcome to send a courier firm to collect on your behalf, or have it delivered to me & you collect from my place. confirmed prices as of 2 minutes ago are
25mm x 25mm ERW 16gauge = £ 9.72 per 6mtrs
19mm x 19mm ERW 16gauge = £ 7.94 per 6mtrs
delivery charge to me = £ 17.25

all above prices include VAT.
they will cut it in half at no extra cost.

let me know if you want to order.
cheers
andy
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:38 PM

Cheers for that andy. I think i'll want to order in a few months once i've got everything planned and some money together.

Does anyone know where i can get a cheap 240-110V transformer, my chop has just arrived and im needing to sorce a transformer for it?