Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th August 2009, 07:53 AM

I would like to point out that I have been a pro welder for 40 years...

I've got no comments, I just thought I would tell you...

David
Old 14th August 2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les g View Post
can i just say what a load of bollocks
who ever wrote that is a cretin.....................
That's well over the top, and not the way I would like to see this forum go. By all means argue the point, but don't attack people just because you disagree with them.
Old 14th August 2009, 08:17 AM

I agree with David to an extent. MIG is def. the most difficult process to set-up. Few people set machine correctly and have mastered fine trimming of parameters. However if you have someone to set the machine or one of the new funky machines that set themselves (well trim themselves for optimum transfer) it is by far the easiest process in terms of manual dexterity required. I have seen many a so called 'Coded' welder that cant trim welding parameters on a MIG set because it has always been done for them in terms of preset programs or via a welding engineer.
Old 14th August 2009, 09:56 AM

Talking It just gets worse !!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I have seen many a so called 'Coded' welder that cant trim welding parameters on a MIG set because it has always been done for them in terms of preset programs or via a welding engineer.
Personally, I find that comment deeply offensive

I worked very hard to earn the first of my ASME codings.

1: I had to demonstrate that I posessed a full, in depth knowledge of the process involved. That included the equipment & the science involved in the process of welding.

2: Writen examinations that had to be passed before you could even submit a test piece.
Not one of the new fangled multiple choice exams. A propper one with no tick boxes.

3: Eqiupment & test pieces had to be set up by the candidate in person, The LLoyds inspector would personally watch you do it.
The LLoyds inspector would also observe the following. Root run, fill & cap ( Keen to ensure thet the set-up tacks were ground out & all joints were back ground as needed.
At no piont would the LLoyds inspector offer advice or comment on your progress.

4: With coding in hand. You go to an interview...........Yes you guessed right, have to go through it all again

I assume that by the comments made, that the poster works in an eviroment that makes full use of the robotic welding devices available.
In this case the equipment is often set up by a welding engineer. More to do with quality assurance than the ability of the welder !!??

Now that is really my final word on the subject of welding

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 14th August 2009, 10:52 AM

Bonzo, theres no need for you to find it offensive.

I am a welding engineer, with hands on experience and have in the past had welder approvals (codings as people like to call them) for a variety of joints and standards 287 / ASME. I have also taught at the local technical college. I now run my own business and employ welders.

What I find aggrevating as an employer is the way people band around the term I am a CODED welder, I'm great. Most people who do this are no longer CODED as they havent been working within there range of approval for the last six months or its been 2 years since the approval. Secondly 90% of people on this forum who have managed to weld there chassis I could get through a Lloyds welding approval for a 3mm MIG fillet weld in the flat position whether it be BS EN or ASMI. Dont get me wrong Im not saying all welder approvals are easy, if you can weld 6" pipe at 45 degrees in position with MMA I'll take my hat of to you, youve got some skill. What you should take offense at is some of the people ive employed that come to interview saying there a coded welder, and the best I get is a line of metal bird poo. There the ones devalueing your welder approvals.
Old 14th August 2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

even when i did my nvq welding course part of the exam was being able to setup the plant and explain process to the examiner. we then had to do a 50 question verbal test followed by various test pieces done both horizontally and vertically. you got one go at each test piece and they were all visually inspected and destruction tested on start and stop areas.

i would find it hard to believe that a coded welder wouldnt be able to setup the plant that he/she is coded for.

as sam has said its usually people that tell porkies that ruin it for the people who have actually bothered to do it properly

Last edited by AshG : 14th August 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:39 PM

Ash

You dont have to do any kind of welding course to get a coding, the theoretical side of a coding is very basic.

All I was getting at is some basic / standard / easy codings are achievable relatively easily. It proves you can proficiently lay down a weld within the range of that approval. Which can be very narrow and doesn't mean your capable outside of that range ! Bonzo I'm NOT insulting your approvals, the standard / difficulty of achieving an approval is all in the specifications of said approval.

If youve been in the industry for long you will have seen hundreds of these sorts, they come and go quickly !!
Old 14th August 2009, 02:16 PM

Oh dear this topic does seem to have got a little heated doesnt it
take it easy guys were all supposed to be being helpuful to fellow builders
now if you all want to shout at me thats fine im going to do some stuff on my car
Old 14th August 2009, 03:57 PM

Okay, now I have to stick my oar in. I regularly stick weld 1.6mm wall material, which is often rusted and will probably stick my chassis too.

I have no welding qualification or "coding" except what I do in my day to day work. If I don't like the weld I just did I grind the bugger out and do it again. Grinder discs are lasting longer and longer now.

When I started using stick on this paper thin material I quickly became very proficient at the patching of holes as I found it hard to not blow a hole.

Currently I use about 90Amps (May be slightly less) through a 2mm rod to join 1.6mm, seems to work a charm.

Heaven forbid I lose concentration and blow a hole in my chassis, I will cut the relevant section out and redo it.
Old 14th August 2009, 06:50 PM

Talking Funny you should say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Bonzo, if you can weld 6" pipe at 45 degrees in position with MMA I'll take my hat of to you
I guess so

ASME IX 6G Pipe MMA

ASME IX 6G Pipe MMA + TIG root

Best drop your pants too

I'll get my coat

www.roadster-builders.co.uk