Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th February 2010, 08:55 PM

You're right Ronnie but as I already have the caravan weigher and its warranted as accurate to <3% I'll stick with it . i actually use a piar of them and weigh both wheels of the same axle together, keeps the vehicle level so giving a more accurate reading.

D.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:28 PM

I wonder, what's the difference in the readings when weighing just one wheel and when weighing both?
Old 25th February 2010, 09:34 PM

Hi Albert, the reason I use two at a time is that it keeps the vehicle level so giving an accurate reading. I've proved this several times by taking a reading then swapping the units over and repeating the readings. You can only use one unit at a time but you need to put a piece of wood of the same thickness under the opposite wheel of that axle to keep the vehicle level or you get inaccurate readings. Front to rear isn't critical but across the axel it needs to be level to get an accurate reading.

D.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:39 PM

But in practical terms, what is the extra load the corner gets if you don't lift the opposite side?
Old 25th February 2010, 09:57 PM

Well it will vary from vehicle to vehicle, on a Ford Focus for example it could be anywhere from 30 to 70 KGs approximately depending on vehicle spec.

D.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

batteries near the tank is a very bad idea, i wouldn't be surprised if it got you a nice big juicy fat fail at iva. there are now stricter rules about tanks and things that can affect tanks e.g sparks. a 12volt battery arcing out on the side of an ali tank will easily blow a hole in it.

i recall when i was younger accidentally touching a 13mm ring spanner between two battery terminals. the result was that the spanner ended up without the ring

my car has a pinto up front and at iva i was still heavier at the rear than the front. tbh with that boat anchor up front the weights wont be that far off 50/50 distribution.

be wise put the battery on the scuttle like it should be and don't kill yourself.
Old 27th February 2010, 06:59 PM

Cheers Ash, I've now given up the idea of them going near the tank (never really liked the idea tbh but I was looking for space for two 6 volters at the rear) but seriously considering building a box into the panel behind each seat to take one six volt unit either side. Once I get the front suspenders done I can weigh each wheel for an approximate front rear split and see if its worth bothering.

D.
Old 28th February 2010, 02:35 AM

Hi just lloking at this and cant see why you dont use 2 smaller 12volt batteries run is parralel? only the motor you are using is a lot to be cranking over 6v volt batteries may not have to required punch. also if you incase the in alloy batteries in there own compartments with a small gap between the tank and battery and puts an insulator like a sheet of rubber in the gap the you would have no problems, i would also put a jacket on the battery beteen it and its case as for 6 months other the year that battery is going to be sitting in the cold and unused this will help your battery last longer

(on average a car battery looses 1% of its charge a day, in 100 days battery should be flat. The colder it gets the less days you get)
Old 28th February 2010, 02:46 AM

A little addition i am planning on adding some solar pannels on my car somewhere so that when the car is not in use then the car will keep its battery topped up. Wont take much to keep the power up.
Old 28th February 2010, 07:24 AM

I could use two small 12 volt units in parallel instead of two sixes in series. Until I get to check out battery specs I don't know which way I'll go. I'm really not sold on the idea of the batteries going near the tank, I know it was my idea in the first place but I never felt truly comfortable with it. If space can be found/made behind the seats then I think this is a much better proposition. Battery maintenance and storage of the car is not an issue, it will live in my workshop and I already have a small but perfectly formed CTEK 3600 charger ready and waiting to maintain the battery(ies).

D.