Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd November 2018, 02:10 PM

Question Steering wheel support frame

Hi everyone I'm having a issue with the steering wheel support frame . In the drawing it gives you three sizes for mounting the support frame the one size is 402 which is fine I know this but the other two on the same side 473 and 456 on the same side now I'm guessing that 473 is the one side on the outside tube and 456 is on the inner tube . Now does this work cause if you do the one 473 and other 456 I'm thinking it won't be straight now how do you mount this and which size do you use or what do I do could someone please help me
Old 10th November 2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
Hi everyone I'm having a issue with the steering wheel support frame . In the drawing it gives you three sizes for mounting the support frame the one size is 402 which is fine I know this but the other two on the same side 473 and 456 on the same side now I'm guessing that 473 is the one side on the outside tube and 456 is on the inner tube . Now does this work cause if you do the one 473 and other 456 I'm thinking it won't be straight now how do you mount this and which size do you use or what do I do could someone please help me
Hi,

I don't know where these measurements come from, but not from the book for sure. Perhaps from some MX-5 based Haynes roadster plans, like Saturn? Could you please mention in your posts what you are building? Thanks.

Also, please, if you could use more punctuation, like more points and comas, your posts would be much easier to read (at least for me !) Thank you.

Anyway, when it comes to the steering wheel support tubes (SW#), normally, the longer tube is the inner one, as it is welded on top of the transmission tunnel tube, which is lower than the chassis top tube, where the shorter SW tube is welded. So the shorter one should be on the outer side.

It make sense that they don't have the same length to get the frame straight, as the fitting point of one (trans tunnel top tube) is lower than the fitting point of the other (chassis top tube).

Hope I'm clear and that this will help
Old 10th November 2018, 09:35 AM

I have put it on and just tacked the way I think it goes so will see after with the column
Old 11th November 2018, 09:08 AM

I seem to remember mine seemed to look strange when I first started to do it.....as long as the top is horizontal you should be ok. Don’t think it can go too wrong....

Russ
Old 11th November 2018, 09:51 PM

Smile

Oh dear - I just didn't like the look of it at all and as I was using and MX5 column and MX5 top hung pedals and MX5 master brake and cllutch cylinder I binned the lot and used CAD (cardboard aided design) to mock up and make suitable supports which fitted with where I wanted pedals and steeering whell (sitting in seat going brum brum helped here)
Seriously I don't think we should get hung up on specific dimensions with this sort of thing, it's more important that it fits with what you want and make sure the car fits you. So maybe sit in the car and decide wher you want everything to end up and then make everything to fit you, after all its your car and it isn't a kit car its a self built car, your choice how it is made :-)
Old 12th November 2018, 08:49 AM

Thanks guys . I've only tacked it in place so that I could do the rest of the chassis then I would get back to this