Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2011, 07:45 PM

Default Welder advice needed - nearly new Clarke 151te or 22 year old Migatronic Rally 166?

Would you buy a 1 year old Clarke 151te or a 22 year old Migatronic Rally 166?

Your opinions please!

As above, would you go for an almost new Clarke 151te, or an old but working well Migatronic?

As far as I can see, Clarke is a very good DIY kit, but the Migatronic is a well made pro bit of kit. Both are 150 amp, but the Migatronic unit has a decent wire feed motor.

Just worried about buying such an old machine.

Cheers guys and Gals!

Adrian

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff406/adrianreeve/
Old 24th August 2011, 09:09 PM

Hi Adrian, having used a 150 amp Migatronic mig machine many years ago in a pro fab shop I would have no worries on picking that over the very much "diy" level Clarke unit.

I have a 160 amp CEM (Italian piece of rubbish) and the feed motor is absolute crap! I get by with it but would happuly give 150 squids for a Migatronic.

D.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:06 AM

Hi Adrian

Given the choice, I would go for the Migatronic set for the same reasons as Davy.

Do you have the chance to try before you buy on the Migatronic ?
Being an older machine, it would give you peace of mind knowing all is well

The older pro sets were built to last & do last well if not abused.

Pity I can't find someone to repair the PCB in my old Cebora 180 set, perfectly good machine sitting in my back shed doing nowt.

Was going to replace it with another Cebora but BOC had the Lincoln sets on offer.
Compared the build quality of both the new Cebora & the Lincoln, The Lincolns wire feed mechanism & motor were far superior to that of the Cebora, well worth the extra £100 in my view.

Hobby MIG's have thier place but not the machine of choice for me.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 25th August 2011, 01:18 PM

Ronnie

Can't try unfortunately, but may be cheap enough to have a punt!
Whats the problem with your cebora? Anything a service centre could sort out? If there's anywhere near London that could help, my parents are still down tour way every six weeks or so, so could do a relay thing?!

Cheers

Adrian

Old 25th August 2011, 02:21 PM

Hi Adrian

Yes may well be worth a punt if the price is right

My old Cebora.

A few years back the wire feed knob was getting a bit temperamental ( Feeding wire flat out )

I traced this fault to the welders potentiomer on the PCB, the body of it had started to come apart.
No problem, I de-soldered the pot, cleaned it up, re clamped it & soldered it back onto the PCB.
This sorted things out for a few years & the welder was fine again.

Last year the problem came back again, no problem I thought " Time I changed that potentiometer for a nice new one "
Bough a new long stemmed pot ( Same value as the old one )
Fitted it but alas the problem was still there but with a slight improvement in wire speed control but not good enough really.

Saw a welder PCB repair service advertised & sent the board off for repair.
When It finaly came back, rushed out to re-fit the board just to find that the welder did not work at all !!??

There were only a few components that were changed on the board when it was supposedly repaired, 1 IC chip & 2 Power transistors.
After lots of research I found that the IC chip had been put in the wrong way round
Replaced it with a new one & the welder was working once again but the wire feed speed controll was extremley sensitive ( Slow to full with just the tinyest turn of the knob, not at all right really )

Welder is useable if you are working on thick plate at the top end of its amp range but more or less useless for sheet metal work.

Went to our main Cebora dealer ( BOC ) & was told it would need a new PCB as they do not do repairs to them, then said it was unlikely that they could find a replacement due to the welders age !!

Had a look at the new Cebora 180 whilst I was at BOC, £499 + Vat, I then compared it to the Lincoln Powertec 191C priced at £599 +Vat

Taken by the build quality of the lincoln Powertec a short haggle later & it was loaded up in the jeep & on its way to a very well deserving home
Very pleased with it to say the least.

My old Cebora was put away in my top shed to gather dust.

Don't even know if there even such thing as a reliable PCB repair service, gave up looking when I bought the new welder.

Thought about stripping it for spares to put on ebay but will never probably get round to it.
Could stick the whole thing on Ebay as spares or repair, dont think in all honestly that I can bring myself to sell anything I know to be faulty in any way

Old 25th August 2011, 02:57 PM

You have a pm Ronnie!

Old 25th August 2011, 04:05 PM

Replied Adrian

Old 25th August 2011, 10:02 PM

get the migatronic thay are great welders i used to sell and you can get most of the parts for them even the rally166 and as far as i can remember thay only droped that model a few years ago
the transformer is the main part as long as that is ok almost everything else is replacable
way better than any clark hobby units