Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th April 2011, 01:53 PM

Decided to go and get a firestorm shock on the back of Rob's comments as the eye to eye measurement ain't bad at 13.5". I'll then take all the dimensions of the spring and see if I can get a replacement with a bit softer rating.

Another area I've been looking at and made some enquires (into a bulk buy) is the ATV/Pit Bike market where I may be able to pick up a 375lb shock 14" eye to eye for less than £60.... still early doors but if anything comes up Ill post it on here

In the meantime I'll wait for the firestorm shock and hopefully get a replacement shock....

Cheers
Rapid
Old 13th April 2011, 06:41 PM

one thing i noticed in passing at the weekend is the spring on the firestorm shock is wound tighter at the top (i think progressive) so if you were to use an off the shelf replacement spring you will need to make a new platform for the top a simples laser cut 5mm ring ought to do it thus allowing the spring to seat correctly at the top. should then just be able to swap for suitable poundage spring and wind the preload off a bit but it might also give a little more preload ??

the new springs ive located come in at £25 is so about the same as ive paid for the shocker itself even if i have to replace all four springs i think im still under half what it would have cost me for the gaz coilovers
Old 13th April 2011, 09:08 PM

where are you getting the springs?
Old 13th April 2011, 09:37 PM

you can get them from deemon theives ! (deemon tweeks ) there just std springs you spec the length id etc poundage required. but i will need to get some spacers made up. or you can get them from other internetr sources even ebay

yet to get one off to measure the free length as i dont own motorcycle spring compressors but i know a man who does
Old 26th April 2011, 08:24 PM

Has there been any more progress??????????????
Old 26th April 2011, 10:26 PM

not from me i built my pedal box this weekend

erm ... what were you after knowing ? the firestorm shocks fit but need new lower rated springs

the r1 shocks fit, the springs seem fine just the mounting position on the lower wishbone or the top needs moving in and up or down and out respectivly
Old 26th April 2011, 11:30 PM

Getting ready to buy, just finding options, just got all the suspension brackets welded on, what a pig. I like the pedalbox, I am using omega HP R28 gearbox with saab turbo engine so some good info.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:39 PM

im using all omega stuff then going saab turbo after iva (hopefully)

rear diff and driveshaft with adapted hubs im quite proud of and my prop was a bargain as extra info when i researched into the fuel pump, my omega pump should provide enough pressure to fuel the std saab lump too saving some more cash in the long run for me

Old 27th April 2011, 12:19 PM

I got Firestorm shock last week and the length seems OK but the spring is rock solid, way to hard, haven't found a cheap location for sourcing new ones yet.

Thought I'd try some VX220 shocks as well, mate of mine has his in bits at the mo so if he hasn't put it all back together then may try these for size?!?!?

Let you know how I get on. Like Rob been working on other bits of the car for the past week or so

Rapid
Old 7th May 2012, 05:18 PM

Finally got around to finishing this of today ! Made some new spring seat platforms to go with the 275lb srpings i bought from tweeks. You need to drill the mounting bushes out to take the std roadster suspension bolts the top ones are easy but the bottom ones are toughened ive yet to do this but ive trial fitted to the rear of the car and im happy. Just the fettling of the front r1 shocks which im keeping std ( so far ) and im good. Saved enough cash for ny digital dash by using these shocks