Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th April 2012, 12:49 PM

Are roll bars really just mandatory for the IVA and for track days ?
Early 7s for road only use never used to have them and weren't considered a particularly dangerous car in consequence. At some point in time roll bars began to be treated as a standard part of every 7esque build and i'm not sure why this is.

Anyone know if a roll bar is actually essential on a roadster for MOT / vehicle construction and use regs - if not mine will be coming off as I could save weight and use the mounting points for a removeable hood frame.
Old 18th April 2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Anumber View Post
Are roll bars really just mandatory for the IVA and for track days ?
Early 7s for road only use never used to have them and weren't considered a particularly dangerous car in consequence. At some point in time roll bars began to be treated as a standard part of every 7esque build and i'm not sure why this is.

Anyone know if a roll bar is actually essential on a roadster for MOT / vehicle construction and use regs - if not mine will be coming off as I could save weight and use the mounting points for a removeable hood frame.
Its not needed for iva or mot

However if you fit one and your seat belts are mounted to it then it needs to be adequate for the job
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:40 PM

Hi I read the concerns with IVA and the roll bar stays requiring 2 fixing bolts each when the roll bar is used as a seat belt anchorage.
Therefore when I made my stays I welded 2 spare suspension brackets to the lower cross members (GRP TUB) either side of the fuel tank.
I then welded a crush tube into bottom of stays and have clamped them wih an M12 bolt.
Now I'm worried because its actually only 1 x m12 bolt either side but it clamps through 2 holes in a suspension bracket.
Also the bolt would have to shear in to places for the stay to pull out, unless it shears and the the bolt falls out?
Wondering if to add anothe form of fixing for security.

Thanks Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roll Bar Stays.JPG (18.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:25 PM

If this type of mounting is OK for a wishbone, it should be OK for seatbelts

The problem with the M10 mounts was down to inspector's opinion in one of the first roadsters through IVA (AshG's?), but I think I've seen someone here mention passing IVA with the same standard book design. Yours is obviously much stronger, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.