Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th April 2009, 11:19 PM

Ash did you write a parts list etc?
Old 15th April 2009, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

its pretty simple to be honest. put all the electrical bits on the car then run the wires between them

there is a posability that there will be a write up on it in complete kit car in the coming months. Keep your eyes open.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:40 AM

I am using the donor loom, I just used masking tape to mark each connector and took photos of all the connections and pulled the thing out as a single unit. I then wrapped the connectors in freezer bags in groups according to what they were and where they go in the car. It should be easy enough to split out the bits that aren't needed.

Old 22nd April 2009, 11:28 PM

I think you are too organised! I unwrapped the mile of loom today that was stored in trailer! I wish I had taken a little more care now to label and bag it all! But as for most. We need the space back!
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehaus View Post
I think you are too organised! I unwrapped the mile of loom today that was stored in trailer! I wish I had taken a little more care now to label and bag it all! But as for most. We need the space back!
Possibly but hopefully the 30 minutes extra it took to label and bag everything will save loads of time later, also I think it is better to be too organised rather than not organised enough especially as my memory seems to reset each time I sleep.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:53 PM

Hi, i agree with ash g it cant be that difficult to make your own loom.
i would say if you look at each item separately it will be quite simple.
for example do the engine first then lights then horn, wipers, heater etc
obviously the more you do at once the more complicated it will seem.
the donor loom is always going to look complicated as theres so much thats not going to be used : leccy windows, sunroof, interior lights speakers, abs, heated screen,rear wash/wipe radio, headlamp wash/wipe the list goes on. anyway thats my opinion, im sure someone will be along in a mo to criticize but they always do.
Ray
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 View Post
im sure someone will be along in a mo to criticize but they always do.
That will be aimed at me then lol

Building you own loom shouldn't be difficult.In most of our applications it is, as previously mentioned, a case of just fitting wires between parts. If you've managed to build a chassis then the loom shouldn't be a problem. It seems to be that people don't like working on electronics because they can't see where problems occur. Most problems can be solved with simple continuity tests. Intermittent faults are more troublesome, and the only advice I can offer is to build the loom well from day one. Ensure everything is propely soldered,crimped, insulated and supported/strain relieved. If you have any doubt as to how good the connection is then remake it. Better to spend another few minutes and a few quid now than hours fault finding later. I speak from experience as I setup a new FI system on an engine a couple of years ago. Not having a base map or any settings, I calcualted them all and tried for 4 weeks to get the engine going, getting to the end of my tether a new loom was made just in case, and would you believe - started on the button. The motto of this story - quality,quality quality!

Cheers

Dave
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:22 PM

I have used the donor loom. If you work methodically from the wiring diagrams (I enlarged the diagrams to A3 size then used coloured pens to identify those wires I needed to keep) it's not that difficult.

You can effectively split it into three parts; those wires running to the front for lights, horn, fan etc; those running from the rear for fuel pump, lights, handbrake warning and those running to the dash and steering column.

Be ruthless with cables like multi earths to reduce the bulk.

doing it this way is pretty much like running new cables but they match the diagrams. You just have to splice them all together at the bulkhead. Mine was complicated slightly by having to wire in a fuel injected Toyota engine to the loom at the same time.

Why don't I make things easy for myself?

I was very wary as I had not wired a vehicle before. It has given me a much better understanding of the systems and it's quite satisfying to have done it myself, in a perverse sort of way.

If you have the time, why not give it a go?

Neil
Old 27th April 2009, 09:47 PM

hi, been stripping out my donor today and i must say i can see why the wiring might be a bit scary , but after a while it all started to make sense.
ford have made a lot of the systems modular and as such reasonably easy to remove once youve identified them.
my donor is a late model ghia so seems to have every electrical accessory ford could think of lol
Ray
Old 21st May 2009, 10:31 AM

Cool premierwiring.co.uk

Hi All

I think I think I have got around my headache regarding the wiring loom, Alan of premier wirring can modify Ford wiring loom to suit the Roadster. I paid him visit yesterday on a job he had done for someone else and manage to see it before the dispatch to the customer. The price was very reasonable ( see website) considering the amout of headache it will save!

Here is his Link: www.premierwiring.co.uk
Give him call regarding your needs tell him I have sent you.

Regards Axle