Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th January 2012, 08:57 PM

Default Webbers or Bike Carbs

Hi all,

At the end of the month i should have enough money to buy everthing that i need to finish my car (finger cross).

The one thing i've been stuck on is the choice between webber carbs or bike carbs for my 2L pinto. Webbers would be easier for me to fit, but i would like to go bike carbs (like the way they look), but so many people have said i need these carbs or those carbs with a mega wossit and trigger thingy, i'm now totally lost...doh

Just bear in mind i'm not mechanically minded, if someone going to say bike carbs, PLEASE PLEASE give me a list of everything i will need, even then i my need help fitting it all lol.

Terry
Old 4th January 2012, 10:01 PM

I have treted myself to a nice pair of webber 45's, all i will say is its your build fit what you would like too see on your car, but webbers do look sexy as hell, good automotive bling

Arfon
Old 4th January 2012, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Speak to bog brothers . they should have a manifold to hand for bike carbs and be able to jet something like a set of ZX6r carbs nicely.

Regardless of Webber or Bike your going to need some form of ignition, whatever came with your engine should do as long as it was not an EFi... You may need to put a IAT in the air intake.

Personlay... My money is with the Bike carbs.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 4th January 2012, 10:33 PM

Isnt there a post on here somewhere with the article on bike carbs by Classic Ford Magazine?
Old 4th January 2012, 10:36 PM

righty ho ! ive had to make this decision myself as i bought a vauxhall with imobiliser issues !!! or created them.

basically im buying a set of throttle bodies from a local breaker for £50 plus the vat on friday but im going down to pick my carbs. to go with this i need megasquirt. now looking at all the sites attributed with megasquirt for my engine i have worked out i can run mine with existing sensors from my engine as the vauxhall sensors are "perfect" for megasquirt. for me this works out that i can get my engine RUNNING on megasquirt with the throttle bodies i settle on.

now if you can make a chassis you can make a manifold for throttle bodies im using the std injection rail from my engine and injectors but the spacing issue well its the ISSUE ! there are bike bodies that can be seperated and spaced to suit the inlet ports on your engine thus making or cutting your std manifold easy as the injectors are correctly spaced already.

this link is fantastic for a zetec guide basically the same for all http://www.sportingfords.com/forums/...hp?f=16&t=1960
and this is great for me
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engin...ne-ms2-v3.html

but there are megasquirt forums you can just google.
for mine it looks that just over £550 all in i can megasquirt on bodies and buy a new acewell digi dash to display all the info i need

im sold on the bodies
Old 4th January 2012, 10:40 PM

ps if you do go bodies dont use ebay ! they all know the new use and have bumped up the prices pm me and ill hook you up with a tel number for bodies at the right price. but gsxr k1 k2 600 or 750 bodies work also triumph tt600 look like a good option easy to mod and r6 r1 carbs early versions can be split too
Old 4th January 2012, 10:52 PM

Bike carbs would be a bit more work than scouting round for a pair of webers that came from a pinto in the first place. I was reading a bit on bike carbs vs webers on a forum a while ago and there is not a power gain between the two but the webers were far easier to tune and performed much better on the road with a better mid range. That said bike carbs do look the dogs danglers.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 5th January 2012, 11:20 PM

terry if you have a pinto you can run its std dizzy and coil if you like and as for carbs you can fit anything you like.
if you want to keep to a side draft affair (no hole in the bonnet) then its as you say bike carbs or webber/dellorto's
you will get a bit better mpg with bike carbs as thay are cv type but its a trade of with unkown jetting and making up your own manifold.
webbers could be a good used option as there are loads about just dont go too big.
if you still have my no. feel free to give me a bell if you want
Old 6th January 2012, 07:05 AM

Webers cost a small fortune to tune you have 4 sets of everything, jets are £5 each webers have several plus emulshion tubes air jets etc, bike carbs have one jet each that you can drill out.
As bike carbs are variable Venturi the part throttle pickup and full throttle from rest are very smooth as the manifold vacuum pulls the needle out of the jet only as much as the engine needs.
If you add up the price of webers, linkage, manifold, misab washers, jets and compare with bike carbs and a manifold, with bike carbs you can do the job for half the money.
Old 6th January 2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Webers cost a small fortune to tune you have 4 sets of everything, jets are £5 each webers have several plus emulshion tubes air jets etc, bike carbs have one jet each that you can drill out.
As bike carbs are variable Venturi the part throttle pickup and full throttle from rest are very smooth as the manifold vacuum pulls the needle out of the jet only as much as the engine needs.
If you add up the price of webers, linkage, manifold, misab washers, jets and compare with bike carbs and a manifold, with bike carbs you can do the job for half the money.
Its for this reason alone that make a weber better. Having the option of altering all the low and mid range fueling, against an ok it runs all right must be ok thing. Not knocking bike carbs one bit i think they are a great idea but feel the price difference wont be a mile apart if they were both put on a dyno and frigged for max performance.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669