Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th October 2011, 07:48 PM

2ltr pinto with cam,carbs headers is plenty good enough for a hop up from standard and any more than that will make the insurance co have a cardiac.
Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 24th October 2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
2ltr pinto with cam,carbs headers is plenty good enough for a hop up from standard and any more than that will make the insurance co have a cardiac.
Bob
Yes Bob, there is that aspect to it

At 23 with 4 years NCD, Juniors insurance premiums are still quite steep

Rob

Thank you for those links

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 24th October 2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
Best option for smiles per quid spent is fit a bike engine, but the Haynes is a bit big and lardy really.
Big and lardy compared to what? A Push bike ???????
Old 25th October 2011, 07:20 PM

if cheap easy power is your quest look round for a good cam (new or used) as pinto bits are cheap and a plenty,
get the old head off give it a decoke and a bit of home porting while your at it befor it goes in
next mod would be a 4 branch befor the carbs fro me
Old 28th October 2011, 11:28 AM

Smile Full day in the workshop

On Wednesday I managed to spend a full day in the workshop ( For the first time in several months )

With Junior doing the Donkey work, I managed to more or less fully strip the Pinto engine down.
I must say, it was a real joy to be working on an engine from an age that I am most comfortable with.

Seems that the Ebay punt has worked out fine & the engine is in a reasonable condition.
It would appear that I have got a better deal than I had thought.

Let me explain, the engine was sold as 205 block Pinto for spares/core stock & was believed to have originated from a P100 pick up.
Went for this particular engine as it was complete, had a 5 speed type 9 gearbox & most importantly, local to me ( Few & far between in this neck of the woods )

The first thing I done when my Two lads bought it all home was to cross reference the engine number.
The engine number started with the letters GS, this relates to the engine being produced in March 1986.
This would appear to rule out the P100 as according to my research, the P100 was not produced until 1988.

On proper examination of the cylinder head, it would appear that it is an injection head ( Pear shaped inlet ports )

All components removed are standard & are original Ford parts.

I did have a concern that this 2 litre engine may have been the low compression version but if it turns out to be a full injection engine I will be happy.

All in all it looks as if the engine has never been stripped & is totally original.
That said, still have more research to do to confirm that the block was produced for an injection engine.

Markings on the pistons are a very grey area for me, read, I havn't got a clue what they mean
The only visible ID on the piston crown is the part no: 832 E 0186, a large 2 ( I assume to mean 2 Litre ) & the customary direction arrow.

Spent almost an entire day yesterday researching all things Pinto & only finding small snippets of info.

Now have a rough plan on what I am going to do to this engine but still have to try & find out if the cylinder head is suitable for use with unleaded petrol !!??
I have checked for the Ford identifier code ( Adjacent to the spark plug ) & all I see is a capital letter " I "
This mark is not listed as being an unleaded stamp but from my research it is commonly found & I have yet to find out the meaning of this mark

I would be gutted if I pay out £150 for an unleaded conversion just to find out that it was converted already.
Looking at the valves & seats, it is obvious that the engine has a good few miles on it but can find no substantial wear on any of the valve train.

Valve guides very good, valve stems very good, no pitting to the valve faces or the seats.
Not knowing how long this engine has been laid up, it could be entirely possible that this engine has not been subjected to any long term use with unleaded fuel, the lack of wear could definitely be a Red Herring so I guess it would pay to give it some serious thought when it comes to conversion.

Well best to get back to the research.

Old 28th October 2011, 11:57 AM

Burton Power
SOHC Pinto Engines

All engines produced after 01/89 are suitable for use with unleaded fuel. For all other engines, an identification mark (adjacent to No 4 spark plug) must be present to designate suitability for unleaded. These are:
* 1.6 - M, MM or N, NN
* 1.8 - S, SS
* 2.0 - P, PP or R, RR

I would have thought that all injection would be converted from new, looks like i am wrong, Bugger.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:21 PM

Hi Mike

Yes, those were the kind of marks I was expecting to find.

Went to my local engine re builders yesterday to find out some general machining prices.
One of the lads thought the injection heads would all be unleaded & the other one said he wasn't so sure of that
Pity their father wasn't there as he is old school enough to remember the Pinto engine.

I guess if I can't find out for definite, then the conversion route it will have to be.
Don't want to be putting some shiny new gear in the bottom end just to drop a valve after a few thousand miles

Old 28th October 2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

20 is a standard 2.0 block
205 is an injection block.
200 is a cosworth 4x4 block
204 is a thick wall block (transit I belive)

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 28th October 2011, 04:39 PM

Cheers for the info Rob

I might be able to cross reference the con-rod part numbers when I turn the block over & pull the pistons, I believe the injection engine had slightly stronger rods.

To be honest, so far the only semi-serious wear I have found is on the big end shells, slightly scuffed & the big end crank journals showing minor wear accordingly.

If it was only for a run about, I would simply treat the bottom end to a new set of rings, new mains, new big ends & light hone.
Run the head as is because there is nothing wrong in that department that a quick re-lap of the valves wouldn't cure.

The master plan at the moment is to have the block bored out to 93mm ( 2.1 conversion )
Full crank re-grind & fit HD bearings.
Convert the head to unleaded ( If needed )
Fit a full Kent FR32 fast road cam.
Source more suitable exhaust manifold.

As for fuelling, see how the Webber twin choke performs first then go from there.

Will it all be worth it !!?? Probably not but that's the way Junior is set on going & if I am honest, just about as much work as I can handle at this moment of time

On the subject of the 2.1 conversion, has anyone heard of TOTO pistons ??

I can get a set of TOTO pistons for about £80 cheaper than AE ones.
Just don't want to buy a pile of crap just to save a few pounds.

Thanks for your input guys

Old 28th October 2011, 07:55 PM

Dont worry to much about the toto pistons ronnie they are just a cheap piston from a large jap piston maker. All this stuff is made to a spec and is probably no different to the hepolite pistons we are used to.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669