Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th March 2010, 09:27 PM

On the contrary Baz,
Having spent 25 years working with the OEM systems to meet performance,economy and emissions targets set by legislation, the OEM systems are very complex and work closed loop at most of the operating conditions these days.
Autotune for the megasquirt system is pretty clunky and does not have any way of updating the VE and ignition tables properly while driving and the updating has to be saved and burned to the megasquirt memory. Not really the same system used by the major aftermarkets or OEM.
While it is true you are only tested at idle and 'fast idle' unless the system is mapped and runs the engine properly all the time the cat will be ruined by the time of the next MOT.
All this adds considerable cost which is way more than the cost of a cheap pre'95 zetec to get through the IVA with then you can put in what ever lump yo want - no cat reqd.
BV.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin62 View Post
Hi Big Vern In Ireland once you have a new chassis you get a 2010 reg no matter what doner you have,they then charge you 36% vrt on what they value the car at .At the moment I am trying to reg a book locost which has 1.3 xflow which would end up very expensive due to emissions law so am thinking of putting a zetec and ecu
Hi Martin,
welll done on getting this far.
I looked into this with the vro in Cork. As you say VRT is based on the engine stated co2 emissions of the engine used at the time of registration. The CO2 figure of the engine comes from the donor vehicle's conformity is used for the kitcar.

Fit a cheap 1.2 8v punto engine (only in Band B), 16% VRT and and road Tax of €156/year for registration.

From revenue.ie
"From a Vehicle Registration Tax point of view, the Certificate of Conformity states that the vehicle at the date of manufacture has a specific level of CO2 emissions. This is the level that will be used for taxation purposes and will not change regardless of post-production modifications that might be made, modifications that might either increase or decrease the levels of emissions of the vehicle"

so drop in whatever you like after that!

If by any chance you can benefit from scrappage, this will wipe €1500 of the vrt bill, which means only a few quid to register it full stop and no nct for 4 years!

best of luck,
Steve
Old 5th March 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverse View Post
Hi Martin,
welll done on getting this far.
I looked into this with the vro in Cork. As you say VRT is based on the engine stated co2 emissions of the engine used at the time of registration. The CO2 figure of the engine comes from the donor vehicle's conformity is used for the kitcar.

Fit a cheap 1.2 8v punto engine (only in Band B), 16% VRT and and road Tax of €156/year for registration.

From revenue.ie
"From a Vehicle Registration Tax point of view, the Certificate of Conformity states that the vehicle at the date of manufacture has a specific level of CO2 emissions. This is the level that will be used for taxation purposes and will not change regardless of post-production modifications that might be made, modifications that might either increase or decrease the levels of emissions of the vehicle"

so drop in whatever you like after that!

If by any chance you can benefit from scrappage, this will wipe €1500 of the vrt bill, which means only a few quid to register it full stop and no nct for 4 years!

best of luck,
Steve
Hi Steve thanks for the info.On checking with vro and ikcc vro would want to give me a 2010 reg because its a new chassis which they would probably put a value of approx 10,000 euro and beacause the engine is 30 years old and no emmisions figures you are put in to the higest emmisions bracket of 36% which means 3600 vrt.That done you go to tax it and because you are in the high emmisions band road tax comes to just over 2100 euro.It just happens that I have the tax book of the doner car in my name and it will be 30 years old in june,I will tax it in june as a classic 50 euro and will insure it as a kit car through the ikcc insrance scheme for 800 euro.So roll on june.In the meantime I hope to keep building my haynes roadster and pick up a good few bits in Stoneligh in may as I am going over for the weekend again with my tin top so I can bring back some bits,cant bring much on ryanair.
Old 6th March 2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
On the contrary Baz,
Having spent 25 years working with the OEM systems to meet performance,economy and emissions targets set by legislation, the OEM systems are very complex and work closed loop at most of the operating conditions these days.
Autotune for the megasquirt system is pretty clunky and does not have any way of updating the VE and ignition tables properly while driving and the updating has to be saved and burned to the megasquirt memory. Not really the same system used by the major aftermarkets or OEM.
While it is true you are only tested at idle and 'fast idle' unless the system is mapped and runs the engine properly all the time the cat will be ruined by the time of the next MOT.
All this adds considerable cost which is way more than the cost of a cheap pre'95 zetec to get through the IVA with then you can put in what ever lump yo want - no cat reqd.
BV.
i agree
i was saying it is possible with megasquirt1 as i have a friend with a sylva running a 2l silver top that will pass a cat test every year and has no trouble
mind you he does work in a garage and has a gas anlyser to set it up on but did do it all him self
as long as the fuel mix is not too far of the cat will take it
my bmw motorbike runs a cat and i have remaped it to run open loop all the time but when i check the gasses in closed loop it still works
saying that cat tec has got a load better since thay first came out

Last edited by baz-r : 6th March 2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo again
Old 6th March 2010, 02:14 PM

Hi Baz,
Yeh its not impossible just a lot of faff and extra expence which could be avoided. There's enough to deal with getting the car through the IVA without the added complication of the cat and engine management.
It also helps to have some understanding of what is needed when 'tuning' the engine management as there have been a number of posts on LCB over the last year where people have blown their engines up A little knowledge being dangerous and all that...

BV