Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st January 2012, 11:11 PM

Default 1.6 MX5 enine tuning

Does anyone have any hints tips for tuning the 1.6 MX5 engine? Or which modifications could i perform on the engine?

I have the Jap import (Eunos roadster) does any one know if there is actually any differenced performance or otherwise between this and the Uk engine?
What sort of power figure are we talking for this engine around 110BHP ???

The parts will remain on the donor car unti i start to need them so could possibly test some of the mods whilst the engine is still in the car.

Regards
Old 1st January 2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoysieWRX View Post
Does anyone have any hints tips for tuning the 1.6 MX5 engine? Or which modifications could i perform on the engine?

I have the Jap import (Eunos roadster) does any one know if there is actually any differenced performance or otherwise between this and the Uk engine?
What sort of power figure are we talking for this engine around 110BHP ???

The parts will remain on the donor car unti i start to need them so could possibly test some of the mods whilst the engine is still in the car.

Regards
Jap spec are generally the most powerful variants (Generally only US spec cars are lower powered)

1.6l JDM Would have left the factory with 113bhp on low octain fuel

Cheapest mod is to raise CR to 10:1 to make use of uk normal unleaded fuel.
Probably only worth a couple of HP but make it sharper and more responsive.

Beter exhaust manifold and a K&N filter so long as you keep it away from exhaust heat - not easy in the normal mx-5 as the underbonnet temps can get pretty high:0

Cheers BV
Old 2nd January 2012, 01:38 AM

Flyin Miata will supply you with pretty much everything you could ever want for an MX-5.

Forced induction is the cheapest when it comes to how much power you get for your money, and you'll be able to get a decent amount out of the engine before you have to start strengthening the internals.

Flyin Miata supply several turbos for Mk1 MX-5's and you can get superchargers from Jackson Racing, Performance 5 or use an Eaton M45 from a mini. The mini one is probably the cheapest, takes a bit of work though.

The cylinder head has room for improvement aswell.

Take a look at the UK owners club forum:

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/default.aspx

PM me if you have any questions
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:19 AM

I reckon leave the engine till the car is built and you have had a chance to give it a shake down. A mate with a kent engined westie did exactly that, he had a spare engine in the shed and gathered all the tuning stuff for next to nothing on a grab when its cheap basis. Got some really nice stuff for nine parts of nothing.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 2nd January 2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisponter View Post
Flyin Miata will supply you with pretty much everything you could ever want for an MX-5.

Forced induction is the cheapest when it comes to how much power you get for your money, and you'll be able to get a decent amount out of the engine before you have to start strengthening the internals.

Flyin Miata supply several turbos for Mk1 MX-5's and you can get superchargers from Jackson Racing, Performance 5 or use an Eaton M45 from a mini. The mini one is probably the cheapest, takes a bit of work though.

The cylinder head has room for improvement aswell.

Take a look at the UK owners club forum:

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/default.aspx

PM me if you have any questions
Basically there's loads of stuff you can do to tune up the mx-5 engine once the car isbuilt andon the road

BV.
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
Jap spec are generally the most powerful variants (Generally only US spec cars are lower powered)

1.6l JDM Would have left the factory with 113bhp on low octain fuel

Cheapest mod is to raise CR to 10:1 to make use of uk normal unleaded fuel.
Probably only worth a couple of HP but make it sharper and more responsive.

Beter exhaust manifold and a K&N filter so long as you keep it away from exhaust heat - not easy in the normal mx-5 as the underbonnet temps can get pretty high:0

Cheers BV
The engine has got a K+N filter just now, there is a metal shield around it to try keep the hot air away and a has a vented type headlight on the passenger side.

Michael

Photo Albums
Build Thread
Donor: 1.6 Jap import MX-5
Chassis: Based upon Saturn MX-5 guide
Official start date: TBC
Build cost to date: £400 profit from donor sales
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:25 PM

Ok guys thanks for the advice.
As you guys suggested i think i will wait until the car is built before trying to tune the engine.

Michael

Photo Albums
Build Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:42 PM

strip back all the unwanted engine manigment suff and fit megasquirt (set up right) would be the best bang for your buck.
and could be tuned to any future tweaks.

simply nothing beats the right mixture and timing every time that is the beauty of eletronics.
Old 6th January 2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
strip back all the unwanted engine manigment suff and fit megasquirt (set up right) would be the best bang for your buck.
and could be tuned to any future tweaks.

simply nothing beats the right mixture and timing every time that is the beauty of eletronics.
Stick with the stock system until it's on the road. The stock system will work with some mod so until you get to lairy cams you'll be ok.
To be honest I wouldn't waste time on Megasquirt. I've used it in the past, ended up costing almost as much as an omex system. Al & Bruce say its experimental. To experimental if you ask me! The msqt was unreliable, not easy to build or tune, few rolling road places will deal with it.
Car spent too much time with me trying to fix msqt faults and after two expensive recovery trips I bit the bullet and bought an omex.
The omex does what it says on the tin with no hassle. Not a single breakdown from the time it was fitted to the time I sold the car.

BV
Old 9th January 2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
Stick with the stock system until it's on the road. The stock system will work with some mod so until you get to lairy cams you'll be ok.
To be honest I wouldn't waste time on Megasquirt. I've used it in the past, ended up costing almost as much as an omex system. Al & Bruce say its experimental. To experimental if you ask me! The msqt was unreliable, not easy to build or tune, few rolling road places will deal with it.
Car spent too much time with me trying to fix msqt faults and after two expensive recovery trips I bit the bullet and bought an omex.
The omex does what it says on the tin with no hassle. Not a single breakdown from the time it was fitted to the time I sold the car.

BV
Never had any dealings with Megasquirt/ Omex.
Probably a silly question but why should one of these be used, what are the real benefits over the stock fuel management system (am i right in saying these are just standalone fuel management systems?) Are there additional features, easier for the home mechaninc to tune/modify the engine etc.
Just trying to get a better idea of these systems. Will try to do some research on these during the week, but would appreciate if someone could give me a starter lesson

When you buy one, does it come pre-loaded with base maps or does this all need set-up by an engine tuner first.

Im sure all will become clear

Michael

Photo Albums
Build Thread