Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th November 2010, 08:34 PM

Default Group Buys.

Hi Guys,

This is something that would have been ideal for the Roadster club to organise but as this seems to be on hold for a while I am more than happy to organise some.

We have already done this with Novembers shock deal, so it seems a natural progression to do it with other items. So here is what I propose, If there are any items that could be bulk ordered (suggestions please) I am more than happy to organise a deal, when and only when we have the desired amount of participants then I'll order the parts. There wouldn't be a time limit, although next year there will a vat increase so prices quoted now would be affected accordingly.

One that springs to mind is wheels. And as an example, if we had 10 people interested a set of 4 x Pro Race 1.2's would be £292.45. (Halfords charge £395)

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com

Last edited by 3GE Components : 8th November 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 8th November 2010, 11:21 PM

Group buying has and always will be a very powerful tool both for the end user and seller alike. Only thing i can see a problem only in reguards to asthetic things is all roadsters will slowly start to look the same loosing the individual differences we build into them. I know theres only so many combos you can have but will deals like this it will only encourage all roadsters to be alike. By no means poo pooing your idea merely voicing my opinion.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:00 AM

I've had a few thoughts about possible group buys and bringing back a few of the previous ones too.
package deal for front ball joints, track rod ends, steering rack ext.
Wheel bearing package
Suspension nuts and bolts or just the long rears?
Rear lights landrover type with surround maybe these? ebay: 230535806785
Headlights? 5" small dominator or dax rush/2cv type
Copper brake line + braided hose and fittings
Gauges
seat belts
steering racks
ali floor panels

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 9th November 2010, 09:26 AM

i agree with monsterob, one of the things that slightly puts me off the grp body work is the fact that 90% of roasters will have it and even though my car will be different it will look the same as every other roadster just different colour / wheels. ( im waiting untill andy does the bonnet with the bigger air scoop so until i order my body work from him so my car looks a little different for a while)

I think that group buys that are to do with the cosmetics of the car should be avoided.

Last edited by dan_g8 : 9th November 2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 9th November 2010, 09:50 AM

Default All for it

I think it's a great idea, at the end of the day there are sooo many parts that every roadster needs, that if there is a chance of getting these bits cheaper and 3GE and Talon are willing to put the time and effort in to make it happen without making alot back then surely thats good for all builders. My main issues are budget, so if I can save a few quid I am happy.
I would say put the ideas up there on anything and get the numbers together.
I would agree however that perhaps wheels are one thing that shows individuality (did I spell that right?) and 10 roasters coming out with exactly the same brand spanking alloys may be strange. For many people £300 is a big lay out when there are 100's of second hand sets out there(paid £40 for mine). But at the end of the day if you get the interest, those people will be very happy.
As an idea pehaps you could organise a group buy on 2.0 pinto sierras, for say £200 each, I would be up for that.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:25 AM

I can understand about peoples reservations about cosmetic choices as this is what makes each Roadster individual but there may well be 10 customers out there who like the Pro Race wheels and given that we could do these for just £4.50 more than Rally Designs budget wheel people may well be tempted. After all you could end up with that style of wheel on 20 or 30 cars anyway, why not get them at a good price?

At the end of the day the idea is to offer people a chance to purchase items at a good price.

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 9th November 2010, 12:33 PM

I would be interested in group buys for the internal mechanical items, steering rack/trackrod ends, brake pipe kits, wheel bearing kits etc. But with regard to the external parts like wheels I have the same concerns about "all looking the same". I don't want to turn it into a kitcar I want to retain the individuality as much as possible.
Old 9th November 2010, 02:40 PM

I think group buys are a fantastic idea but can you wait until I've got the money for them.

I would love to invest in the Protech shocks on offer but I've spent the current wad on wishbones and uprights.
Old 9th November 2010, 06:30 PM

Something to do with the engine then, maybe? Zetec intake manifolds to suit bike carbs or bike throttle bodies? Lowered sumps for Zetec? There's a fair number of people building Zetec based cars, apparently.
Old 9th November 2010, 08:28 PM

Cool Cracking deal John

That is a cracking price for Pro Race 1.2's

Pesonally, if I parked next to another Roadster & it had the same style wheel rims, I wouldn't be cut up about it in fact, I would be over the moon if I found out that I managed to get them £100 cheaper

So much more to the Haynes Roadster than just the body work & wheel rims !!??
Quality of finish & attention to detail is what will make or break the car .... Gus's car is a fine example of what can be achieved

I would like to think that when I am finaly on the road with my build, folk will say " Ohhh look, there's a Haynes Roadster " rather than say " Oh look, another Locost " !!??

www.roadster-builders.co.uk