Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th April 2010, 08:39 PM

Default Chassis Painting

Hello

Well I'm getting close to having the majority of little bits and bobs welded to the chassis so I'm getting to the point where I either need to get the car on wheels, or strip the chassis and get it painted and ready for panelling. The problem with the first option is that a friend of mine offered to machine the end of the wishbone tubes back in November - they are still not done and trying to get the tubes back off him is proving troublesome The reason getting on with the painting popped to mind is because I'm due to be going on shift work (4 days, 2 off, 4 nights, 2 off etc) in June for 3 weeks. During this time I can't see me getting much work on the roadster done. So my idea is to paint the chassis before I go on shifts, which will give the paint a few weeks to harden.

I'm thinking of using Expoxy Mastic 121 - http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic.cfm - which I think AshG used on his car. What is the general consensus as to how to apply it. Spray, brush or roller? I've got a compressor and a big cheap spray gun but I'm thinking I should try and get a better smaller gun to get into those awkward areas - anyone got any reccomendations - I know nothing about spray painting! Also what sort of quantity of paint am I likely to need - will 5l be enough?

Cheers

Dave
Old 25th April 2010, 09:11 PM

Default Extra text

Funny you should mention Epoxy Mastic 121 Dave .... I have just used some of that to do my wishbones

Spraying would be quite quick but would tend to be a little wastefull, I would imagine it would need a fair bit of thinning.

Personaly, I would go for a small radiator roller ( Sponge one ) & flitch brush for the few areas that the roller won't reach

I brush painted the wishbones, it left a fair few brush marks .... Probably my own fault for using a soft brush that was a tad small

It gave the wishbones a cracking coat of paint though .... Just need to give them a light rub down and layer of top coat & the job will be a good un.

Nothing wrong with the finish as it is, just top coating out of personal preference

EDIT

5 litres should be stacks !!

The 121 I bought was probably 1 litre when mixed .... It took about 1/4 litre to paint all the wishbones & rear uprights .... I still have a fair bit left.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 25th April 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 25th April 2010, 09:42 PM

Here's a picture of some of the parts that have been brush painted with Epoxy Mastic 121

I have used 2 pack epoxy on quite a few Marine projects & it has never dissappointed

Oh bugger .... I have just given a sneak preview of my Saturn scuttle

Old 25th April 2010, 10:28 PM

Cheers Ronnie - brush/roller seems like a good option - also means I can rope the girlfriend in to help as she likes painting and she is very good and patient. Would also be a lot lessy messy and not require me to sheet over everything in the garage to catch the overspray in the air. I'm liking the red - looking forward to seeing the finished product
Old 26th April 2010, 08:52 AM

Your definately right there Dave, overspray can be a real pain.

Rust-buster do reccommend a sponge roller for aplication but I prefer the cotton type as they tend to be able to get into the awkward places a bit better .... Just watch out for bits of fluff from the roller whilst new

I think re-painting the chassis is on my next to do list .... After spending the best part of 100 hours on my build during the last few weeks, I am beginning to feel a little frayed around the edges

100 hours may sound a lot but at the pace I am able to work at , probably 20-30 hours of work for most

The build is going in the right direction though, once the chassis is re-painted I will be able to fit the engine & gearbox