Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th June 2011, 11:07 PM

Default slight progress

hello there,

only made a little progress in the last month or so due to working obscene hours and sorting uni related things.

got the headlight and diff mounts from saturn which were spot on, got the diff in and aligned with the gearbox, then took the engine out for ease of working and moving the car.

also got the headlight mounts tacked on and the handbrake mounts tacked on and drilled.

also made the steering column extension, used a piece of 1inch thick walled steel air pipe which worked out fairly well, had to replace a small piece with some solid bar where the column passes the front upright (the ones with the rear front suspension brackets on them)

next jobs are radiator mounts, harness mounts, flexi brake pipe mounts, roll bar stay mounts and seat mounts.

couple of questions too

am i missing anything that would stop me from painting the chassis after the above has been done?

and what thickness plate would people recommend for the roll bar stay mounts? im using a grp rear end.

has anyone had any experience with these seats? http://www.jkcomposites.com/7%27s-page.html they seem fairly priced and good quality.

also after many questions and thinking about things iv decided to go down the fuel injection route using bike throttle bodies and a microsquirt ECU. not sure weather i will do this before or after IVA at the moment as will be fitting a zetec afterwards.

some piccys for your enjoyment

Ta Very Much

JakeH

Last edited by JakeH : 18th June 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 19th June 2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

looks good Jake,

Are you going with the GRP rear tub? if so then the Crescent's on the side of the passenger compartment may cause trouble, I have cut mine off as the tub did not fit.

SATURN haV pre-fabbed roll bar plates that are spot on.

tt

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 19th June 2011, 10:48 AM

You might need to move your headlight brackets as they may well clout the tyre on full lock as well as during suspension travel. Mount them in same place as the top shock mount which is almost the centre of the wheel.
Old 19th June 2011, 02:20 PM

thanks fellas will take a look into those.

the roll bar stays are sorted now, it was where the stays are going to mount to the chassis more than anything, found a thread which was of great help.

with the seats i know the drivers side has to be on runners for the IVA test but not the passenger, anyone know of some good quality universal runners?

Ta Very Much

JakeH