Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Sell V8?
YES 12 70.59%
NO 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th June 2010, 12:25 PM

Default Do i sell my v8 engine?

I am tempted to sell my v8 engine that i was planning on using for my roadster. After getting the engine in a few weeks ago i have realised that due to the size of it I am going to come across lots of clearance issues. I know that it will fit but it will take a lot of tweaks to get it sitting right.

So do i sell it and settle with something like a tuned zetec or do I stick with it and modify the chassis to allow more room for the engine?
Old 17th June 2010, 12:41 PM

The question is, will you be happy with a tuned 4 pot zetec, or will you constantly be thinking 'i wish i had put a bit of extra effort in to get that v8 roar'?

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 17th June 2010, 01:11 PM

I love the burble of the V8 but assuming it is an old Rover lump then it is just that - on old Rover lump. Modern engines produce way better power verses weight are more economical to run and generally more socially acceptable. If you want an anchor buy a boat

My build diary. http://www.mx5-locost.co.uk
Old 17th June 2010, 01:43 PM

I know it wouldn't technically be a roadster but you could follow the plans for the McSorley 442 which is much bigger and has a very large engine bay that would fit a V8

http://www.sevenesque.com/plans/
Old 17th June 2010, 02:56 PM

Zetec with some fast cams in and bike carbs and you'll get the nice tune out of it. Not a V8 but a lot easier......

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 17th June 2010, 05:32 PM
fabbyglass

Bike engine everytime, these cars never get used that much anyway so you might as well have summat in there to really give you a scare....and they whooop the sound a Zetec makes hands down
Old 17th June 2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Bike engine everytime, these cars never get used that much anyway so you might as well have summat in there to really give you a scare....and they whooop the sound a Zetec makes hands down
I beg to disagree. A bike engine is for a bike, except maybe the single seater - different beast altogether......

A bike engine car does sound nice though i cant deny that although i do love my zetec especially now it got the new Piper 285 cams in.......

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 17th June 2010, 07:09 PM
fabbyglass

Drive a bike engined car and you will see what I mean....yeah they may not have the same top speed but it's how they get to where they are going that will have you giggling like an idiot...nowt like being able to really kill the beggar without it wanting to throw you over a hedge or dump you off the back. And I prefer bikes over cars any day of the week...so why I have I got a Veedub bus and happily bumble along at 50mph...
Old 17th June 2010, 08:04 PM

Do not give up just yet on the V8, no body said it was going to be an easy thing to build. If your still scratching your head over the height of scuttle and the engine 'I have a cunning plan ma lord'. Your not exactly short so with you sitting in the chassis put a 200mm high box on the nose and hold a broom handle from the top of the box back towards the scuttle. If you can still see over the top of the scuttle your in luck. Instead of using a fibreglass scuttle make your own from a set of rear tub bars,some steel sheet and P38. If your thinking what am I doing this for give me a bell and i'll come over and see if I can help.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 18th June 2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the offer phill. i cant decide what to do yet. car has got to be completed (well ready for iva by next july) but think that i will regret not using the v8 and going for the easy option.

Tried out your idea after i saw you last week and i think that it will work. going to properly install engine & gearbox then decide about keeping v8.