Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th April 2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
Having looked at that picture you,ve attached then yes, I,d go for that, tho i personally would put the plate all the way across between the TT2 & TT3 tubes, to strengthen the mounting & avoid weakening the mounting bracket.
Might also be worth fitting a "safety loop" further down the trans tunnel ( near to the seat area) just in case the prop decides to let go.

cheers
andy
so mount it like the photo but send the plate straight across rails tt2 tt3 for my strength. and what do you mean by safety loop?
Old 15th April 2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layotn20 View Post
so mount it like the photo but send the plate straight across rails tt2 tt3 for my strength. and what do you mean by safety loop?
yes, make the mounting plate to go straight across between TT2 & TT3,

A safety loop can be made from 25mm box tube, basically its just a square cage that will help prevent the prop coming into the cockpit or dropping down onto the road if it decides to break away from the gearbox output shaft or from its bearing carrier.
Just weld a square frame around the prop across from the 2 TT1 tubes just rearward of the TT4 uprights, but make the square big enough that the prop has enough space to rotate ( allow a 2 inch gap around the prop, also big enough to allow you to remove the prop if need be), this is just a safety precaution to save your legs in the event of a prop failure, its not an IVA requirement but will be looked upon as a good safety measure by the IVA inspector I,m sure.

cheers
andy

Last edited by HandyAndy : 15th April 2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 15th April 2010, 02:05 PM

As andy says plates across tt2/tt3,this was done on my f27 with zx9 motor.Also the hoop is a good idea as if it breaks near the front then the car could flip.