Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th October 2009, 07:47 PM

Default the jigs

hi im trying to get some info on the jig in fig 5.15 in the picture it shows you the length of the plate is 465mm but in the wrighting below it says the length is 475mm now it gives you 10mm extra is that 10mm for you to weld the box section on or is that a mistake or what and in fig 5.18 it does the same thing length of the plate 315mm in the picture and the wrighting below it says 325mm and again it gives you 10mm extra so what is that 10mm for
Old 26th October 2009, 09:44 PM

Looking at my first edition of the book you are correct, two different lengths are stated !!??

Being as I worked form the drawings alone, I had not noticed this.

There is an ammendment for the first edition of the book this was to do with the lengths of the rear lower & upper wishbones.

The ammendment was to make the wishbones 10mm longer

I can only assume that the jig drawing is the pre-ammended length & the text is to the ammended length.

My own wishbones were made to the jig drawings + 10mm. They have all been test fitted to the chassis & running gear, all is fine.

If you do a search of the forum, you'll find a list of the book ammendments

Perhaps Chris will be along shortly to advise.

I hope this all make some sense.

EDIT

Found them

You'll find the ammended wishbone spec in this thread http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 26th October 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:44 AM

hi bonzo thanks for the feed back but now could you please explain something to me . for me to add the box section do i weld it up against the plate of both jigs fig 5.18 and fig 5.15 so that it has that extra 10mm
Old 27th October 2009, 10:46 AM

Default the jigs

hi bonzo thanks for the feed back but now could you please explain something to me . for me to add the box section do i weld it up against the plate of both jigs fig 5.18 and fig 5.15 so that it has that extra 10mm
Old 27th October 2009, 11:04 AM

Default Wishbone jigs

Looking af Fig 5.15 on page 65

The length of the plate is given as 465mm, Now asuming that an extra 10mm is required ( Ammended book spec )

The length of plate needed, will now be 475mm.

The 25X25 box is welded on top & at each end of the jig plate.

This will give you wishbone length of 425mm.

Old 27th October 2009, 11:48 AM

Default the jigs

hi bonzo i have received your reply thanks i just wanted to ask info once again does the same work for fig 5.18 the 10mm is for welding the box section on
Old 27th October 2009, 12:34 PM

Yes the same would be true for the rear upper wishbone jig in fig 5.18

Looking at the drawing, if you are wanting to add the extra 10mm, you'll need a plate measuring 350mm X 257mm

The box section will be placed on top at one end, You'll then need to ensure that the 287mm measurement is increased to 297. This will set the wishbone 10mm longer.

I have just noticed that the ammended drawing in the annoncements section sows the upper rear wishbone length as 287mm This is the same length as figure 5.18 in the first edition book !!??

To be honest, there is such a large amount of adjustment on the rear camber adjusters. 10mm either way shouldn't make a lot of difference.

Old 27th October 2009, 01:25 PM

hi bonzo im still bit confused because in the book i have it shows in the picture from the face of the box section inside to the 26dia tube it says 287mm like you said and 315mm from the begining of the plate to the inner face of the box section and the wrighting below says 257mm x 325mm so its already giving me that 10mm so from what i understand thats the 10mm that i must weld the box section in
Old 27th October 2009, 01:27 PM

Default the jigs

hi bonzo im still bit confused because in the book i have it shows in the picture from the face of the box section inside to the 26dia tube it says 287mm like you said and 315mm from the begining of the plate to the inner face of the box section and the wrighting below says 257mm x 325mm so its already giving me that 10mm so from what i understand thats the 10mm that i must weld the box section in
Old 27th October 2009, 01:34 PM

im also not sure what edition book i have cause the info of the 287mm rear upper wishbone is what shows in the book and in the picture it says 315mm plus 10mm it will be 325mm like it says in the wrighting below . Im just trying to make sure that there is no mistakes in this drawings and the book so that i can start with the project