Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th March 2010, 03:58 PM

Default Steering Column / Engine Mounts

Got my Pinto in place and the mounts welded in over the weekend So decided to have a go at extending my steering column - that's when it all started to go wrong. As I got everything lined up (just using a straight edge and the original bits) I could see that there was very little clearance between the column and engine mount - only a couple of mm! I checked over all my dimensions, positions etc and everything seemed right. I recall other people have discussed making new mounts etc but Chris used the originals so I was confused - so after an hour head scratching, going over the book with a fine toothcomb I think I've worked out the problem - not sure if it has been discussed before so thought I would mention it in case an ammendment is required.

I bought my CP16 plate from 3GE and as per the book it has 10mm cut outs in the corners. So I offered this up until it touches the bottom of the tubes and welded it there. This leaves the top edge running across the middle of the horizontal tube. Looking at the book very carefully, on P78 of the book at the picture of the engine installed, you can see that CP16 is installed with the top edge flush with the top of the horizontal tube. As a result I am guessing that the lower column bush ends up about 10mm too low. I cut the bush housing plate out last night and tacked it in higher up and now I've got plenty of clearance although the column does come close to the horizontal tube. Now just need to overplate the joins to ensure they are nice and strong.

I've just been looking at Some of AshG pics and it looks like his was also very close - Ash - when you fitted the new lower column bearing did you move it up a bit?

As i say I can't remember this being discussed before but thought it might be useful in case anyone else is coming to weld CP16 in as you may be better waiting until the engine, mounts and rack have been test fitted.

Cheers

Dave
Old 30th March 2010, 04:15 PM

David,do you have the engine in place with modified sump if so could you post a picture as I am in the process of fitting mine and would like to see the height in the frame.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th March 2010, 04:45 PM

If you look at the second link in my signature there should be some general pictures in there. If you want detailed ones or measurments let me know and I will get some later in the week. I ended up with the standard sierra rubber mounts and book steel mount structure. Also - a top tip - when you line the gearbox up with diff allowing for it sitting down on the rubber mount. Fortunately I had only tacked the plate in place when I released the jack under the gearbox to see it settle about 5mm on the rubber mount
Old 30th March 2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks David, will have a look and measurements would go a long way to help but no panic as I am on a course this week and not near the garage.

Thanks Again.