Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th October 2013, 09:50 AM

Default Local D.V.L.A. and vin number

Well yesterday I had the privilege of spending 1.5hrs at Chester D.V.L.A. trying to get a vin number only to be told they don't issue them anymore you have to fill in a form from the D.V.L.A. website.
The lady was very nice and actually down loaded the form for me and addressed an envelope as well.
So if you are thinking of going down to your local office before they close save yourself a trip and don't bother

Arfon
Old 4th October 2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
Well yesterday I had the privilege of spending 1.5hrs at Chester D.V.L.A. trying to get a vin number only to be told they don't issue them anymore you have to fill in a form from the D.V.L.A. website.
The lady was very nice and actually down loaded the form for me and addressed an envelope as well.
So if you are thinking of going down to your local office before they close save yourself a trip and don't bother

Arfon
What form was it Arfon? They wanted me to fill out an inspection report and a V55 "Application for a first tax disc and registration of a used motor vehicle" and the car would require an inspection BEFORE they would give me a VIN!

I made up my own in the end...

Cheers
Stot
Old 4th October 2013, 09:26 PM

Default Vin

Interestingly, it seems that the requirements vary depending on how you ask the question and of whom. A month ago I decided just to send a letter to my local DVLA office asking how to go about getting a VIN. Nothing for a month, but this morning a letter arrived from DVLA Swansea containing my VIN! The letter suggests that when my vehicle was inspected (difficult since it has not been built yet) it was noticed that it did not bear a VIN number, hence the issue of same. The letter has a box at the foot requiring a stamp and a signature of the 'garage or dealer' confirming that the VIN has been affixed. It seems that in my case this will be the IVA Inspector. So, there you have it, yet another example to add to the pile. I suspect however, that this might be what to expect in future since someone, somewhere in the DVLA must be keeping track of these numbers - or is that too much to hope?
Old 4th October 2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01 View Post
Interestingly, it seems that the requirements vary depending on how you ask the question and of whom. A month ago I decided just to send a letter to my local DVLA office asking how to go about getting a VIN. Nothing for a month, but this morning a letter arrived from DVLA Swansea containing my VIN! The letter suggests that when my vehicle was inspected (difficult since it has not been built yet) it was noticed that it did not bear a VIN number, hence the issue of same. The letter has a box at the foot requiring a stamp and a signature of the 'garage or dealer' confirming that the VIN has been affixed. It seems that in my case this will be the IVA Inspector. So, there you have it, yet another example to add to the pile. I suspect however, that this might be what to expect in future since someone, somewhere in the DVLA must be keeping track of these numbers - or is that too much to hope?
The strange thing is the vin numbers provided include o's and 0's which king of contradicts the iva manual. There is a specific way they work out the vin number for you self build, office ref, year, Julian date and then the next number issued. I was 14th and my mate round the corner got 15 so don't think they issue that many.

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 5th October 2013, 11:23 AM

I'm not sure what the forms are I am in work today as we have an open-day but I will have a look when I get home and post what they are, Grrrrr I hate forms.

Arfon