Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2011, 03:53 PM

Question Cycle wing clearance

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what clearance they have between the front tyre and the cycle wing ?

Cheers

Peter
Old 10th September 2011, 08:04 PM

Out of interest - how do most people attach the wings to the stays? Sikaflex or bolts?
Old 10th September 2011, 08:27 PM

Cheers Adrian,

I've been working on about an inch. I'm going to try Sikaflexing first and see how it goes. The cars not looking too bad now - still needs a bonnet though. Silencer, tyres and air filter are the major parts that I still need. Might go to Stafford next Sunday.

Cheers again,

Peter
Old 11th September 2011, 10:20 AM

I used steel plate with lots of holes, welded a bolt or use threaded rod and drilled wing stays to take the bolts, adjusted the height the with a few blobs of sikaflex pushed the wings on.
When dry I removed the wings and covered the steel plate with sikaflex to bond it to the wing.
When this had set I then covered the underside with Wunderseal from Car Builder Solutions for stone chip protections.

Old 17th September 2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powler View Post
Cheers Adrian,

I've been working on about an inch. I'm going to try Sikaflexing first and see how it goes. The cars not looking too bad now - still needs a bonnet though. Silencer, tyres and air filter are the major parts that I still need. Might go to Stafford next Sunday.

Cheers again,

Peter
if your gonna use sikaflex to glue them on make sure you take the paint off the metal stay where it fixes to the under arch - the paint will come off the metal and you lose the wheel arch.

take a wire wheel brush and drill to the underside of the arch to rough it up/clean up - slap the adhesive to the metal arch only [i mean really slap it on] then plonk the arch on top - position the arch remembering to stand well back and look at it cos it will be out if your too close - go under the arch if you can and smooth off the adhesive around the sides of the metal stay - then using gaffer tape hold the arch to the wheel overnight - rock solid.

i used anti stone chip paint under the arch [again really slapping it on with an old brush]

mine survived a full roll over where the arch stays snapped first! [5mm thick!]

ps the dax arches are really nice - not cheap but nice

Last edited by tex : 17th September 2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: last minute thought - :o)